Petal Tin/pan

Baking By Steffi123 Updated 3 Jan 2019 , 12:43am by SandraSmiley

Steffi123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffi123 Posted 31 Dec 2018 , 12:59am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I've bought a petal tin with 6 scallops and needed advice on how to ganache a petal shaped cake with sharp edges and grooves.. Also, how is fondant best applied to them. You see some images of peoples petal tiers and theyre so perfect as if ganache discs have been used. Any advice would be great Thank You.

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Dec 2018 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 4

I don't have a petal pan, but I would think that the flexible smoothers would be a great help to smooth the sides.  If I were covering a petal pan in fondant, I would cover the top first, then wrap the sides.  It would be easy to hide a seam inside the scallops.

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 2 Jan 2019 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 4

I did a petal cake recently. It was a challenge for me. I did it in one piece like covering a round. I used a ball of fondant to shape it as my flexible smoothers were just too big. It took me a while but I managed to get a good finish. I guess the type of fondant helped as it stayed pliable for a good amount of time. I like the idea of using two pieces though.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 12:43am
post #4 of 4

Debbie, I would have thought there would not have been enough fondant to stretch into all the crevices on a petal cake.  I guess that depends upon the fondant, too, and how stretchy it is.  Good for you, that is pretty amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%