Help Me Buy A Home Wall Oven

Baking By jorly Updated 31 Dec 2018 , 5:04pm by SandraSmiley

jorly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jorly Posted 29 Dec 2018 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 3

I bought an electric range by LG for a vacation house that has the worst ovens I've ever been so unlucky to have to use.  I was told by a Best Buy Customer Service man who says he used to service appliances that it won't ever preheat to the set temp or hold a temp because, in order to be energy efficient, it uses wide temp swings.

I feel like my Italian great grandmother in Italy who had to heat the ovens with wood!  I have to set a higher temp so that, when it dings Preheated, it's 25 degrees too low when heating to moderate range, 50 degrees too low when heating over 400 degrees.   I then wait another 5-10 minutes for it to actually get to the set temp, then have to reset the temp lower.  After that it may end up baking around the temp I wanted, but I have to babysit it in case it heats too high or low!  I've recalibrated it 6 times, twice w/a service person either on the phone or in the room.  I've had it for 2 years and have to fight with it trying to bake.

Now we bought a new home that needs a complete new Kitchen and I'm scared of buying a new double oven.  Does anyone have advice on new double ovens that can preheat and hold a temp accurately?  BTW, I'm not made of money and this isn't a commercial situation.

2 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 30 Dec 2018 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 3

My best advice is research, research, research!!! And DO NOT BELIEVE THE SALESPERSON!!!! They are there to sell you something. They will not be forthcoming with negative information regarding a particular product. I had a Fridgeadaire oven I loved. It was convection, and bakes came out beautifully. Then we renovated our kitchen and got all new Samsung appliances. Hubby  did the research, but unfortunately, a couple of key issues seemed to go under the radar. Our fridge has a constant leak. My stove, the cleaning function stopped working one month after the warranty was up. And like you, the temperature range fluctuates. I bought a good quality oven thermometer. I check the temperature of the thermometer before I place my baking in the oven. This way, I can set my timer accordingly. I actually have a countertop Cuisinart convection mini oven/toaster. Bought to use in the hot summer months so I don’t have to turn on my big oven. It can take up to a 10” x 3” cake pan. Believe it or not, I get a better, amazing even bakes with my Cuisinart than with my big oven. Another tip, google reviews of __________, fill in the blank with particular stove model.  Or google problems, difficulties associated with _________, as in last sentence. After we ran into difficulties, when we googled, pages came up about the same issues we were having. Had we done this, we would have steered clear of the Samsung appliances we purchased. I hope this helps

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Dec 2018 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 3

I have a new Whirpool wall oven, about three weeks old, Model # WOS51ECOHS00.  It is a regular oven, not convection, because I did not like the convection option on my old oven and without the fan, the new oven is much larger and will accommodate my 16" round cake pans.  So far, the temperature has been spot on and it bakes perfectly.  One of the things I like is that there are different options for the self cleaning feature, shorter periods of time at lower temps for light cleaning, etc. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%