Glaze On Fondant Is Spotty- Help!

Decorating By cserr4 Updated 22 Mar 2019 , 3:10pm by theresaf

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 21 Dec 2018 , 4:06am
post #1 of 10

I just put a vodka/corn syrup glaze on my cake that is due tomorrow morning.  For some reason the glaze is spotty. I don't know how to fix it. Can someone please give me advice on how to fix this? Thanks!

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Dec 2018 , 4:11am
post #2 of 10

I've never tried to glaze a whole cake with the corn syrup / vodka mixture, but I've used it to glaze large gum paste leaves and it was spotty because I can never get it to emulsify.  Also, it takes a month of Sundays for it to dry.  The only way I know that you could correct it is to go back over the unshiny places or to use a confectioner's glaze.

cserr4 Posted 21 Dec 2018 , 4:17am
post #3 of 10

Thanks! I really don't know how im going to fix this. I will play around with it and hope something works. 

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 4 minutes ago

I've never tried to glaze a whole cake with the corn syrup / vodka mixture, but I've used it to glaze large gum paste leaves and it was spotty because I can never get it to emulsify.  Also, it takes a month of Sundays for it to dry.  The only way I know that you could correct it is to go back over the unshiny places or to use a confectioner's glaze.

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Dec 2018 , 4:27am
post #4 of 10

Well, it won't hurt anything to try going over the spots that aren't shiny.  It might work.

cserr4 Posted 21 Dec 2018 , 4:48am
post #5 of 10

Guess my other question would be how much of the vodka gets absorbed into the fondant since this cake if for a child. 

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Dec 2018 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 10

I am not a scientist, but from my experience painting on fondant with alcohol, it evaporates too quickly to be absorbed into the cake.  I don't think that will be a concern.

cserr4 Posted 22 Mar 2019 , 12:54am
post #7 of 10
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2019 , 1:48am
post #8 of 10

hey-- cserr4 -- I think you wanted to put this on your other post

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 22 Mar 2019 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 10

I've only used straight vodka over fondant - I used it for giant Christmas balls last year. It's still a little sticky for a while but super shiny. I used it sparingly with a brush. What if you go over it with vodka and skip the corn syrup? Best Theresa

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 22 Mar 2019 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 10

OOOOh I just noticed this is an old question! Oy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%