Craquelin On Choux

Baking By DaffodiLeifa Updated 14 Dec 2018 , 2:20pm by -K8memphis

DaffodiLeifa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaffodiLeifa Posted 14 Dec 2018 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, so I had been pretty desperate for a solution for my choux. So I like to bake my choux with craquelin, but I don’t know how to get a very nice even covering on the choux. It will always crack messily and really not even. Well if it’s only for me to eat I don’t care how the craquelin look but just recently I got a croquembouche order for wedding and the bride want the choux to be perfectly round with an even craquelin on top. I tried and tried and fail... 

So any choux master can share a bit of their knowledge? I was really desperate as the wedding got closer. Anyway, I had tried to roll it with a cookie ruler to get an thin and even craquelin but after bake... crack everywhere. It was sad TT__TT

Do I need to play with temperature so the craquelin spread slowly and not so explosive? But I was afraid low heat will make the choux not rising instead. Anyway I was using convection oven with fan on and set the temperature at 170 celcius (or at least that was shown in the oven thermometer)

Or was it the recipe instead that needed to be tweaked? 

Thank you in advance for any advice :D

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2018 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 2

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/craquelin-recipe/

his are not real even either -- full disclosure I have never made them with crackling but I think if you can turn the convection off -- or bake in a deep dish that will prevent the moving air you will have a much better shot at it --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%