Top Of Fruitcake Is Dry And Hard

Baking By Warkentimo Updated 12 Nov 2018 , 8:06pm by SandraSmiley

Warkentimo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Warkentimo Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hoping someone can help. If the top of a fruit cake is dry and hard. Will wrapping in cheese cloth soaked in bourbon help? Or do I need to start over? Thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 4

the soaking should help but when i soaked a fruitcake -- which i don't do often or anything so i defer to anyone else with a better understanding  -- but i would store the cake upside down so the moisture goes to the top -- and i soaked it regularly like i don't remember every week or something -- but the top will still be firmer than the rest don't you think -- and that's not really a bad thing to me -- i LOVE the crunchy outsides of a great pound cake -- why not with fruit cake right? so those are my thoughts on the subject

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

I make fruit cake from time to time. Actually made one on Friday. The top will be hard due to the cooking time required. As long as cake inside is moist then I would think they are fine. And yes regular feeding of brandy or other alcohol will soften it. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 4

Ditto above. I always wrap my fruit cakes in cheesecloth, soak them with a mixture of 1/2 brandy and 1/2 grape juice, wrap them in foil (which gets tiny pin holes eaten into it by the alcohol) and tucked into a plastic bag.  If it starts to dry out, I soak it again.  It keep the cake moist forever and the top being harder is not a factor in the least.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%