Cake Tasting Confusion

Business By HajraK Updated 18 Nov 2018 , 12:16am by SandraSmiley

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 4:26am
post #1 of 18

Hey everyone,

I have a situation for my first wedding cake tasting which is becoming somewhat more complicated because of Thanksgiving coming up and the bride's mother wanting more cupcakes because of more family being in town.

I was planning on offering my tastings as follows:

3 flavors with 3 frosting, in a box of 12 cupcakes,cost of  $35 which can then be applied to a booking, bride/mom take cupcakes home to taste and tell me what they think. 

NOW the mother wants 3 flavors: chocolate with salted caramel, red velvet with cream cheese and lemon with vanilla. Salted caramel frosting is one of my frostings I charge "extra" for when someone orders it on cupcakes or cakes because its more time consuming to make. AND She wants 2 dozen of these cupcakes (8 of each flavor). 

This is going to be quite a big wedding - 300 people, and if she ends up booking me she would order 16 dozen cupcakes and a small cake. I don't want to lose the booking, but at the same time I'm not sure if I should flat out double the fee for the tasting because its double the cupcakes, or if there's any other feasable solution. Also, taking into consideration the amount of time it takes to make the salted caramel frosting, should I be charging even more on top of the regular tasting fee?

Im a home business and wedding cake tasting are definitely not the bulk of my business. Any advice would be appreciated,

17 replies
HajraK Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 4:29am
post #2 of 18

I should mention I'l be putting out a Thanksgiving menu soon for current and potential clients with cakes, one of them being red velvet (2 layer 8" round for $45), so this is an option for the brides mom, but of course more expensive than a tasting and only one flavor of cake. Not sure if this is something she's going to go for 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 7:41am
post #3 of 18

If you're in business and you offer x items for X amount, don't change it just because some MOB wants something different. If she wants something other than what you usually offer, she can pay for it.  Whether she orders from your Thanksgiving menu or outright makes no difference.  Don't change your business for 1 person.  If she wants 2 dozen cupcakes for "tasting", she can pay for 2 tastings.

Sounds like she might be a pain from the get-go and you might want to let her go on her merry way.

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 18

Sounds more like a party than a tasting.  I probably wive the upcharge on the salted caramel since that maybe wasn't clear from the get go?  But just for the first dozen.  The second dozen get charged at regular price.  And I would only credit the "tasting dozen" to the final order.  Like cakefan92 said you might want to proceed with caution on this one.  Good luck.

HajraK Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for the responses!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 18

Not sure when they have asked you to supply the samples  -  but the skeptic in me thinks they are having you dessert cater their Thanksgiving dinner. ;-)

And I agree with the others - two sets of samples, two fees.

HajraK Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 18

Hey guys,

Yes I ended up deciding to charge them double the fee, plus extra for the caramel. Not making it applicable to the future order either. If she doesnt want the double charge, I will just do the dozen.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 18

good

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 18

Smart move. If M-I-L doesn’t balk, then there’s a good chance you can work with her and the bride. Although it sounds like Mama is making all the decisions. As others have said, proceed with caution.

HajraK Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 18

Ok so she agreed to the one dozen standard tasting fee plus extra fee for the caramel frosting. She said she’d let me know if she wants another dozen soon. I told her if she does it’s double the cost and she will be getting them in mini cake form (6” round), not cupcakes. I am not making 24 cupcakes in 3 varieties when I can do the same on three pans! Let’s see what she says.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 18

What the MIL is requesting is an order, not a tasting.  You should charge her exactly as you would anyone else who placed an order for cupcakes and in no way have it tied to the wedding.  It will do you no good to get this order if you do not make a decent profit.  Best of luck to you.

HajraK Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 18

I’m actually charging her more than what I Usually do standard orders, plus a little extra  for the flavors she’s chosen. and also not including it as applicable to any future order so I think I’m ok.

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 18

Sounds perfect, HajraK!

HajraK Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for everyone’s advice. This forum is such a great community!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 8:21pm
post #15 of 18

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 31 minutes ago

What the MIL is requesting is an order, not a tasting.  You should charge her exactly as you would anyone else who placed an order for cupcakes and in no way have it tied to the wedding.  It will do you no good to get this order if you do not make a decent profit.  Best of luck to you.

this ^^^

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 18

You've thought this through well. Sounds like you have a handle on it HajraK. Your no nonsense approach us exactly what you need for a person like this. Let us know the outcome.

HajraK Posted 17 Nov 2018 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 18

So just wanted to update everyone - The Brides Future MIL confirmed her order for the dozen, just standard flavors at my standard tasting charge, NOT applicable to future orders. And then I got two more birthday cupcake orders for the same flavors, to be picked up as same day as tasting package, so I don’t feel like I’m wasting my time just making this little tasting package. If the MIL and bride and groom lIke the flavors, then they’ll go with me for 200 cupcakes and a small cake. Hopefully they will like them!

thanks again everyone

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 12:16am
post #18 of 18

Best of luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%