Price The Cake

Business By rimzaa Updated 5 Nov 2018 , 4:12pm by Freckles0829

rimzaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rimzaa Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 4

Can you please help me price this cake? I made this for my friend. It 10x10 with 8” round on top. Top has butterscotch morsel buttercream with white cake and bottom has chocolate buttercream. Covered with marshmallow fondant and everything edible decorations. I am so confused how to price it as she ordered a cake for her husband on his 40th bday which only had 4 small 1/1” square of fondant in front and fondant laptop 4”on top no details for $350 percent 2tier icing only. Should I price this around $500? Or how to go about it? please help! Thank you all. Price The Cake

3 replies
GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 6:16am
post #2 of 4

The image is so small I can't see it well enough to even guess. lol

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 4

Gigglebox is correct, the pic is so tiny I didn't even realize the bottom tier was square until I read your post. 

Pricing is one of my pet peeves and a raging hot topic here.  It's my personal opinion (so take it for what it's worth to you) that if you don't have your pricing already in place, you shouldn't be selling at all.  I look at it this way - - if you want to have a business, make sure you have everything in place before you even start.  If it's just a hobby, then pricing shouldn't be a major concern for you. 

Pricing depends on so many variables that no one can tell you what to charge.  You need to take into consideration your skill level, the area you live in, the going rate currently being charged by other bakers, the cost of your ingredients and equipment, the time you invest into research, planning, execution and delivery, the cost of gas, electricity, packaging, insurance, clean-up and fuel for your car.

I have lists and spreadsheets out the wazoo and am constantly updating them. It's an ongoing and very necessary process. I'm currently phasing out cakes - except for small ones - and going to mini/individual desserts.  It will be a while before my pricing is all firmed up and I'm ready to go, but when I start everything will be ready and there will be no waffling (if that's a word).

Do the work, do the research and you'll answer your own question.  Good luck.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 4

Did you do the cake for her husbands birthday?  If so, how did you come to that price?  Also, you made this cake without discussing price beforehand?  So does your friend have no idea how much she is spending on a cake before she gets it?

And ditto everything cakefan92 said.  You really need to do your research in your location and make a determination that you feel comfortable with.  Trust me, I really wish there was some magical spreadsheet that would give set prices for all cakes, but sadly there isn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%