High Ratio Shortening

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 5 Nov 2018 , 12:04am by SandraSmiley

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 29 Oct 2018 , 12:41am
post #1 of 28

Can anyone advise if high ratio is still available anywhere? I haven't tried any of the new formulas. I miss Sweetex.

would love to hear if anyone knows where to buy the real thing now, or others substitutions for it?

27 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2018 , 3:17am
post #2 of 28

It is my understanding that it is no longer available due to new food regulations.

MamaGeese Posted 29 Oct 2018 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 28

Boo hoo, I hate when they change or take away our products...I've heard the new formulas are crap

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2018 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 28

I am just planning to go back to Crisco, when I need pure white or very stable frosting.  I usually use all butter.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 29 Oct 2018 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 28

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Krafts-Hi-Ratio-Shortening-lbs/dp/B00024WNTU

I just bought some a month or so ago on amazon.  see link above.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2018 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 28

Oh my goodness, I was going to rush over and order some, but at $10 per pound, I will do without.  I bought a 50 pound box of Sweetex for $80 and that was bad enough.

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 12:51am
post #8 of 28

Just for the heck of it, I call the wholesale supply store where I formerly purchased my Sweetex and, guess what????  They still have the 50 pound box of High Ratio Sweetex.  I am going to make a little run into Nashville and pick up a box before it is no more!  

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 1:18am
post #9 of 28

how cool is that! way to go, sandra

MamaGeese Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 28

That's great Sandra! 

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 28

Going there today!  It may be my last chance ever.  Also, 50 pounds in my freezer will last me the rest of my life, lol!  Now, if I could just find affordable vanilla!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 28

yeah vanilla is crazy now -- ouch

MamaGeese Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 28

Sometimes I find McCormicks real Vanilla at Big Lot stores for about half what it is in grocery store. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 9:19pm
post #14 of 28

oh thank you, mamageese -- i'll try that

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 28

Update!  There was, indeed, a 50 pound box of Sweetex labeled High Ratio, exactly like it used to be, but when I read the ingredients label, there were 0 transfats.  In my book, that is NOT high ratio and the labeling is false advertising.  I didn't buy it.  I did buy a quart of Sysco Imperial Pure Vanilla Extract for $80.00.  It does not taste quite as strongly of vanilla as the Nielson-Massey, but considering the $40.00 difference in price, I can just add more of this brand and should get comparable results.  

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2018 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 28

sandra, sorry about the transfat thing

omg -- vanilla is hurting my feelings! ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch -- glad to hear you scored on that but oh my!

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 31 Oct 2018 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 28

I stuck with Crisco even after the hi ratio thing and didn't have any major problems with  my frosting- not that I do fancy dancy cakes!  But the last 2 batches of frosting I've done have a completely different flavor to it, even my kids commented on it.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I used the Crisco sticks.   

MamaGeese Posted 1 Nov 2018 , 12:14am
post #18 of 28

Crisco is just crappy now.....I made 3 batches of buttercream today and wasn't  happy with any of them. I guess it's time to graduate to SMBC, but in the south we never know how it will hold up in heat and humidity.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Nov 2018 , 1:44am
post #19 of 28

I always used butter in my frosting until I got the high ratio and I still only used the shortening if it was really hot and humid.

MamaGeese Posted 1 Nov 2018 , 12:46pm
post #20 of 28

Yea, I did half butter and half high ratio. 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 7:23pm
post #21 of 28

i only use butter and it's most hot and humid here -- gotta deliver in climate controlled boxes aka corrugated cardboard

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 10:02pm
post #22 of 28

When I was considering buying the new high ratio shortening. there were two kinds of ingredients; one had palm oil, I can't remember what was in the other was but the ingredients were different.  I posted on a forum hear asking which one should I try.  

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 10:07pm
post #23 of 28

I found my post from earlier this year, and I decided not to try it earlier this year: I’ve looked on globalsugarart.com and there are two kinds of “high ratio shortening replacements” : CK shortening for icing and cake: a soy based and a palm based https://www.globalsugarart.com/ssearch?q=high%20ratio%20shortening which would you think would work better?  

MamaGeese Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 12:59am
post #24 of 28

Not sure, I've read reviews that the CK icing shortening is crap. I'll have to check out Global sugar arts. If the government has banned all sales of trans fat shortening since June, I'm sure it would be terribly hard to find any. I know Crisco changed its formula years ago, removing trans fats, but I suspect they have changed it again. It just doesn't seem the same as it did even a couple years ago. I'm just glad I'm winding down and not just starting out. I'm in my 60's and not doing a lot, but ESPECIALLY for wedding cake you want the best you can produce.  

MamaGeese Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 1:04am
post #25 of 28

Sandra, I did the same thing about a month ago, I was ordering my usual high ratio  and was about to hit place order and I noticed the same thing! Packaging looked exactly the same, they even called it high ratio, but it wasn't . That is deceptive.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 1:15am
post #26 of 28

MamaGeese, I came back home and looked at my old box (I have a box fetish, so I still had it) and the "High Ratio" declaration is 10 times larger on the new one than the old one.  I think they really want to fool us.  Had I not read the ingredient label, I would be the proud owner of 50 pounds of glorified Crisco.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 4:54pm
post #27 of 28

sandra -- omg -- i love boxes!!! and little spice containers and shopping bags -- and i also love some glass jars especially ball glass jars to drink out of -- ph my yes!

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 12:04am
post #28 of 28

YES!  Spice jars, tylose containers, all manor of jars and boxes!  Mike gets so disgusted, but I remind him constantly that there are much worse things than collecting boxes (and Kitchenaids, lol)!  My latest "can't throw away" container is the metal box that my super-dupper expensive flea collars come in.  The collars last for 8 months and I have 24 cats, so now I have hundreds of these great little boxes.  The collars are shipped sealed inside a plastic bag, so they never come in contact with the boxes.  I keep thinking they would be perfect to paint and decorate on the outside and use for individual decorated cookies.

https://www.chewy.com/seresto-8-month-flea-tick-prevention/dp/46492?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Seresto&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfreBRB9EiwAikSUHbMWlLFacYFtqwNg-9dznAzZuR33YHnB-jat4r-iD8tOSoCBJ6VHmhoC-CMQAvD_BwE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%