Charge For Character Heavy Cake?

Business By lexiferguson Updated 15 Oct 2018 , 8:35pm by -K8memphis

lexiferguson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexiferguson Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 4:09am
post #1 of 10

So I was asked by customer to create this Studio Ghibli cake. I don’t know if I’d be able to fit everything on a 6” or not, but that’s about the size she’s looking for. How much would you charge for this? I know the characters are going to make the price go up. Just looking for opinions on what you would charge. Thank you!!Charge For Character Heavy Cake?

9 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 4:24am
post #2 of 10

The cake seems like more of an afterthought.  That's going to be a lot of sculpting.  I am sorry I can't be more helpful on the price.  If I did that it would take me 10 years.  lol!

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 10:56am
post #3 of 10

I am going to guess that Studio Ghibli is copyrighted... so you can always tell your customer you can't do it unless they get the release...

It also does look like a lot for just a 6"...

I am not that good at sculpting figures... in fact I suck at it... but I am going to hazard a guess at lease $250 to $300... that tree is going to take a lot of time for all those leaves... then there is the structural aspects of the hanging and floating characters... 

But I also don't do copyrighted cakes...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 10

$500 -- there's over a dozen characters with half of those in gravity defying poses -- tons of detail -- whiskers, bows, umbrella, shoes, boots, broom, hair braid, cape, apron, clothing, painted faces -- plus the tree

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 10

with permission from copyright holder -- or just do it for family and no charge -- but anything with that much work -- $500

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 10

I would probably charge about $300, but I am very accustomed to making models and could do these quickly.  Likewise the tree structure.  The leaves appear to be plastic, to me.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 10

sandra, sure you can do them quickly but that doesn't mean they are worth less -- that just means you make more --

the cake is $5 per so $60 -- so twelve detailed characters could be fifteen bucks a pop give or take is $180 then suspending half of them is ten bucks each for $60 -- that's $300 right there -- then you gotta price the tree -- at least $50 to $75 with the six characters hanging off it -- internal structure --

so an extra hundred because i know i should charge more than what i calculated -- $475 oh yes oh yes

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 10

I do not disagree, Kate.  It's just that it would not take me more than a couple of hours, at the most, to make all of the figures and the structure for the tree.  But, boy oh boy, just wait until I start one of those realistic models!  When I did the Eagle Scout cake, it took me about eight hours to do the two figures and that doesn't count anything else!

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 10

oh for sure-- but you charge more for your expertise not less 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 10

but i didn't mean any pressure -- we are all different and at least several hundred dollars for a cake like this -- then for the real life people artwork it should be exponentially higher -- in my opinion --

of course no one wants any of us to give our hard work away 

it's more than fine for us all to have a different idea on this --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%