House Shaped Out Of Birthday Cake

Decorating By BeeAnn Updated 29 Sep 2018 , 8:12pm by -K8memphis

BeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeAnn Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 4

I am hoping to make a cake like this for my daughter's birthday cake.  I was thinking of making the main part of the house as a stacked cake with a carved cake roof.  And then doing a separate, similar, cake (but the other way round) for the front part and then just putting the two together.  However, I think that if I do this the two roofs won't join together as the back one will be sloping away from the front flat section.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the easiest way to make / shape this cake?  Bear in mind that I am a 'once or twice a year' type decorator!  I have made one house cake before but can't get my head round the bit at the front of this one!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pumpkincakes/8537684212

Also, to get the tiled effect on the roof would I just cut a load of fondant shapes and lay them on top of each other?  Any tips on how to do this?

Here is a picture of the house - not out of cake!

[postimage id="9602" thumb="900"]

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2018 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 4

the two roofs don't have to meet just slap it all on there -- and you're right about the roof tiles too -- just cut little tiles and lay them all on there -- just ice the back of the front cake all the way up so it doesn't matter if it shows back there -- then put the roof tiles -- it will be fine -- 

she's gonna love it -- you'll be fine -- lemme know if you have any other questions -- feel free to start a new thread if need be blush

BeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeAnn Posted 29 Sep 2018 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 4

So would you make the main section and front section (including their roofs) separately and then just put the two together?  Or do both bases and then both roofs when they are already together?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2018 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 4

i would do plan b because then you don't have to worry about the front section falling off -- don't worry -- plenty of other things to worry about ha! jk jk jk sort of

and for that triangle for the roof -- you might want to consider using rice krispie treats but cake will work too -- just seems like a lot of fondant weight on a slim little piece of cake there -- i would put a board and dowel underneath it for good measure -- do that for every 4-5 inches of height anyway

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%