Gluten Free

Baking By Elle26 Updated 29 Sep 2018 , 2:53am by bubs1stbirthday

Elle26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elle26 Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

Can you use a regular recipe for a gluten free one? As in, can you use the same recipe and just sub the regular flour for GF? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

8 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 9

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have spent lots of money over the last few years trying to work out GF since my Grandma was diagnosed gluten intolerant lol...……………… I just use a packet mix for cakes now and GF flour for biscuits. I have also just found a Friand recipe that had only a small bit of flour that converts really well.

The recipes with minimal flour tend to convert far better than ones that rely heavily on the flour and I find that even though a recipe bakes well one day it doesn't mean it will every time, I find the flour really temperamental.

Elle26 Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 1:15am
post #3 of 9

What’s considered minimal? 2cups?

bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 4:34am
post #4 of 9

Depends how big your recipe is but by minimal I mean the smallest amount, for instance the Friand that I have found originally called for 60grams of plain flour(which I switched to GF), 200 grams icing sugar, 120 grams almond meal, 5 egg whites and flavourings, it easily converted to GF because  it really was only minimal flour required and the main structure was egg whites and almond meal.

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 9

My sister has celiac, so whenever I'm baking for family dinners I make everything gluten-free. I've had really good luck doing a direct substitution into my regular recipes using King Arthur's Gluten-Free Measure for Measure flour. (Note, King Arthur has a couple different gluten-free flour mixes. I think the measure for measure is better for baking soda/powder recipes and the all-purpose GF flour is better for yeasted recipes.) The texture of the final cake isn't exactly the same, but it's pretty good. I've even used it for pie crusts and puff pastry. 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 9

I might have to try and source some king Arthur flour, I have heard of it but never seen it, I wonder if we don't have it here in Aus?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 29 Sep 2018 , 12:39am
post #7 of 9

Like LindsayH I use a one to one flour, only my brand is Bob's Red Mill. This flour includes xanthan gum which helps GF cakes rise.  I've baked cakes and cupcakes seamlessly by swaping out the flour. 

Elle26 Posted 29 Sep 2018 , 2:12am
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much for your input ladies, much appreciated! :)

bubs1stbirthday Posted 29 Sep 2018 , 2:53am
post #9 of 9

Drat, neither of those brands are available in Aus I don't think (I can't seem to find them online or in a major store anyway). I wonder if your flours are better than ours, GF has inly really come in over the last several years and the flours etc have only just become mainstream and stocked everywhere over the last couple of years so maybe they will improve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%