What Should I Do With This Client?! Please Help!!

Business By HudaM Updated 2 Oct 2018 , 3:13am by HudaM

HudaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 5:34am
post #1 of 52

Just a disclaimer, I live in Toronto, Canada, the most expensive city of Canada aside from Vancouver. Which means, things are expensive here. Sorry for a long Story haha, sit tight, but please help me. 

I had a client who messaged me 14 days before her wedding at 3:40am at night for a cake inquiry, as it was so late I decided to reply in the morning but she messaged again in an annoyed tone "Heyyy??!!" as If I was ignoring her at a normal human awakening time. I apologized and told her that we would talk tomorrow as rn its too late and gave her a time of 11am. 11am came and she told me that she wanted a cake for 100 guests with a design she provided herself, the picture had a large satin ribbon and big broach. I told her that I would make a 3 tier cake, 12" 9" 6", She wanted the cake to not "melt" and so wanted it in fondant this would've have been about $500 once I gave her my sketch with the added cake topper. But before I quoted her I asked if she was going to serve other desserts with the cake and she said yes, there would be one. I also let her know that buttercream will not melt as long as there is air conditioning in the venue and she confirmed that there was. I also  told her that another dessert mean that there would be people that will not want it therefore its best for you if you want a smaller cake and therefore although still 3 tier, it would be smaller. I gave the size and serving amounts to her and in the mean time she gave me another inspiration picture and asked for a sketch so I did once again, and then she asked for a quote, which was an approximate of $400. She said her budget was $200..... and that she's decided to not serve the cake but instead only have it there for cutting purposes. So I said cool, I can make a 10" cake for you and fake layer on top and I gave her a sketch of how the smaller cake would look like. This time she wanted a topper with bride and groom plus fresh flowers plus green color that was her dress color. I gave her a quote of $170. She said okay to and I told her to confirm her order she needed to send me 50% deposit and once ive confirmed it I would begin making it. She asked if it was ok to send the evening of that same day and I said sure/tomorrow works too. Evening comes and goes, no deposit. tomorrow comes and goes, no deposit.  I asked her if she could send me a picture of her dress again against a white background so I could get a proper colors and so I could maybe put elements of the dress into the cake. She did not have her dress available and this time so i just remind her to send the deposit as the wedding day was approaching and I needed to Buy ingredients. For a few hours my phone had been dead and I had forgotten to charge so I got an email at 12:40am saying that she wanted a design change and have just 1 heart shaped cake with flowers and topper and fondant covered with another picture providing the inspo, she also apologized for replying so late and that she would send the deposit immediately. I replied to her immediately and said I would need to give her another quote. Next noon I gave her the quote of $120 (serving 38 people without the cost of fondant), I reminded her for the deposit again bc now there is 9 days left to the wedding. and she messaged "please lets go with $100". So this time I said asked her if she could do $110 as quality was something I rarely compromised in, and $120 was already my lowest but for her I could do  bridal discount to $110. Its been 2 days and Ive gotten no reply from her just a notification that shes opened the message. There are 6 days to her wedding and I have no Idea what I should do. SHould I swallow my pride and tell her $100 is okay (ill be making $40 after the cost of cake which is not enough for the amount of time it will take me to make it). Or should I just wait until she messages me. 

51 replies
kandyslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyslife Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 52

I don’t think you should ever comprise your price for a customer. They don’t go around asking for example the venue they are renting or the flower decorator or the caterers to lower their prices. A couple getting married see’s what they can afford and go for it. Same should be with cake

if you want to sell someone your cake you must first be able to sell it to yourself

B.E.Sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 52

You have already spent too much time quoting this bride. Send one final message that states that the price is firm, and you need the entire amount by 24 hours or you will not be able to complete the cake. And then don’t worry about it anymore. It is not your job to lower your prices for someone you don’t even know. She can either afford you or she can’t and either way it’s ok. Good luck! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 52

I totally agree with kandyslife and B.ESweetcakes, you have already afforded her more than $100 worth of your time with communication and design work.  One final request for.......I would recommend payment in full, instead of just a deposit......within 24 hours or no cake.  With this client, you definitely need to get a signed contract, as well.  She's already changed her mind half a dozen times, which to me is a red flag.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 52

yes what they all said except -- i would say payment in full is due now today before 6 pm -- or the potential order will not be taken seriously at any further point in time -- fini -- 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 52

it's the old -- her crisis is not your emergency -- you don't need that drama --

or you could just forget getting payment today and just do the "the potential order will not be accepted by so and so cake company" and don't give a reason because she is desperate and she will play you some more because all her people are tapped out -- i'm sorry she's going through this but honestly you do not need the drama --

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 52

why do i always think of something else to say right when i hit enter --

it's not worth it to ride her drama train -- i advise you to Not do the cake -- she can get one from a big box store -- she still has time to do that -- cut her loose now is my best advice

and please let us all know what you decide and how it goes -- thank you and best to you

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 52

Personally, I would tell her that you cannot do it.  You’ve already invested so much time in her for nothing.

HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 52

Thank you all for reading the whole thing haha, anyway update, She messaged last night at an ungodly time again at about 2:30am again that she would do the quote of $110 but I only saw it now, she sent a me 50% deposit already but before I message her that her deposit is confirmed should I tell her that I would like the full amount within today/24h as you all said?? Im not exactly how to send a client a contract, how would the sign it via online conversation or should I do at pick up time? 

HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 52

Thank you all for reading the whole thing haha, anyway update, She messaged last night at an ungodly time again at about 2:30am again that she would do the quote of $110 but I only saw it now, she sent a me 50% deposit already but before I message her that her deposit is confirmed should I tell her that I would like the full amount within today/24h as you all said?? Im not exactly how to send a client a contract, how would the sign it via online conversation or should I do at pick up time? 

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 52

I would definitely tell her the balance is now due because of the late confirming date.  If you have no other way to get a signed contract, type out all the particulars in a text message or email and ask her for a confirming reply.  Print out a copy and have her sign it in person at delivery.

HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 52

okay thank you so much <3 I appreciate all the help!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 52

No deposit. No order. No worries. Let this one go. If it was important to her, she would have gotten the deposit to you. Who orders a cake with such short notice, and then changes it so often? Do not go lower on your price. Imo a profit of $40 is enough to make me say I have since booked something else. It isn't even worth it.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 52

Ah. I scrolled too fast and didn't catch your response. Definitely get the rest of the money as soon as you can. Not the day before, and definitely not on delivery. You can find mock up contracts online and change anything to suit the wording you want. This customer made me mad lol

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 52

but for her calling in the middle of the night all the time -- refund the money -- or fasten your seat belt -- it's gonna be a wild ride 

and if you don't refund -- you have to tell us about all the twists & turns -- but i hope you do refund -- 

HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 5:39pm
post #16 of 52

I don't think i'll be refunding because I do want an experience out of this, Now I'm just waiting for her response on the rest of the deposit. I've given her a time limit hopefully she doesn't open her messages so late once again, ill be sad sigh. I'll get a contract and e-mail that to her as well :) 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 52

you are guaranteed an experience smiley

HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 7:08pm
post #18 of 52

Quote by @-K8memphis on 56 minutes ago

you are guaranteed an experience smiley

hopefully a good one ;D

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 9:12pm
post #19 of 52

Firstly...DON’T ever reply to someone at such an ungodly hour. Why would anyone assume you are conducting business after midnight, let alone 2.30 in the morning. As others have said never compromise on your price. Especially in this situation, only days from the wedding. Customers don’t set the price, you do. They have absolutely no idea what is involved in making a cake.  I would have charged extra for fitting her on such short notice. And would have asked for the price in full before I started.  I’m just down the road from you, an hour away,  and in Toronto, your right,  you need to charge accordingly. $40, is not a healthy profit for doing a wedding cake. Last wedding cake I made, was 2 tier 12” & 10” fondant covered with fresh flowers, and I made a $100 profit. 

HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 9:49pm
post #20 of 52

It might also be because I am a little inexperienced, but I am starting to understand now. The thing is I wasn't going to reply but she had seen that I saw her message and for some weird reason prompted me with a rude "Hey!?" to reply. I mean even I wouldn't message someone so late and be expected to receive a reply regardless if they saw it or not. Maybe this is why so many people require an order through email. I know this time I am totally undercharging but hopefully my next client isn't like that. And oh! how cool to find someone so close :D. I sent her a contract email as well as a message to give the full amount today by 5pm, but she still hasn't even though she has seen the message. Honestly I will make her cake, but if she doesn't send it by tonight then I don't know what I will do. I feel like she came back to me because obviously no one would accept her at such a short notice for a customized wedding cake. 

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 10:23pm
post #21 of 52

You do not need to make her cake unless you get paid in advance!  You are just asking to never get paid!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 10:55pm
post #22 of 52

You've let a bridezilla pull your chain for days--and nights--to get an "experience"???????????

Well, she's got the upper hand because she sent a deposit.  Good luck getting the rest of the money out of her...........ever.

If you refund the deposit and walk away, she'll fault you for having played her game for over a week....."Oh, she's awful. She agreed and then left me high and dry with no cake just a few days before my wedding!"

If you start work with just the deposit money, I doubt that you'll get the rest.

If you demand payment in full, I bet she complains about the cake and demands a refund.

Believe people the first time they show their colors---

"Hey" in the wee hours of the morning NEVER deserves a response at the moment. It DEMANDS a "Thanks for the inquiry, but I'm booked for that date" between 9am and 5pm the next day.

jchuck Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 11:38pm
post #23 of 52

Totally agree with SandraSmiley and maybenot's  replies. If you haven't received FULL PAYMENT by 10 pm...Do Not make this brides cake. She has already taken advantage of you, several times. And now, deliberately ignoring the final payment timeline.  You don't need "this type" of experience. I see by your 1st cake posted your very talented. It takes time to get customers. You don't want this bride telling others what a pushover you are. And you don't want customers who are looking for a "deal". Don't be so desperate for business that you compromise. Your work will eventually bring in customers. 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 12:37am
post #24 of 52

run, forest, run

jchuck Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 12:39am
post #25 of 52

Ha Ha Kate...love it!!! Yes, run, run as fast as you can from this bride....

-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 12:41am
post #26 of 52

+1

HudaM Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 1:07am
post #27 of 52

Should I say "Hi again, sorry but I'd like the full amount by 10pm for me to make the cake for you." 

But does that mean I have no choice to make her cake now? as she might gossip/badmouth me if I return her deposit? D:  

Thank you June <3 I appreciate the kind words :) 

Do you think because I keep asking for it she will get turned off? Should I even care? 

jchuck Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 1:25am
post #28 of 52

My dear, you need to develop more confidence in yourself. Don’t apologize for this brides bad behaviour. Why should you be sorry that she hasn’t kept to the agreement. Would a store stay open after closing hours so someone could come and pay for something, buy something?. No. Closing time is closing time. I wouldn’t even respond tonight. Don’t chase customers. She has missed the time you gave her. Tomorrow I would contact her and say, sorry, you missed the date for final full payment. I am returning your deposit and you will have to secure another decorator. Because you didn’t follow through, I’ve accepted a customer who has paid in full for this date. I am no longer available. She doesn’t have to know you you really don’t have a customer. You can’t worry if she will bad mouth you. People like her are bullies. She is probably all talk, and no action. For all you know, she could be fishing for another deal from some other unsuspecting decorator. Of course this is just my advice, I can’t tell you what to do. I’m sure I’m old enough to be your Mother. I don’t like you doubting your skills and talent. Nor being taken advantage of but a pushy customer.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 1:26am
post #29 of 52

If I were you, I'd be so angry at this point that I'd better not make her cake.........If it were me, I'd cut her loose, take the hit, and move on, resolving never to let another person get the upper hand in MY BUSINESS.

Push comes to shove,  I might go so far as to tell her that, at this ridiculously late date, I could only make the cake with CASH payment in full by noon tomorrow--not 12:01pm, not 5:00pm-- with the understanding that there can be absolutely no changes WHATSOEVER:  not colors, flavors, servings, delivery location, delivery time.  No PayPal, no check, no credit, NOTHING that can be reversed.  ABSOLUTELY NO PAYMENT UPON DELIVERY.  There will be no refund FOR ANY REASON.  At this point, beggars can't be choosers and she will have to take what she gets. If she doesn't like it, she can likely pick up a fine cutting cake at any decent bakery or grocery store.

If you have a rating platform, find out how to delete reviews, block her on FB & Twitter--and anywhere else you can.

Sorry, but this is pretty much a no-win situation.

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 2:21am
post #30 of 52

I am retired and decorating cakes is my hobby, not my income, which makes it a lot easier for me to say no.  When I do choose to make a cake for someone, I am doing them a favor, not the other way around.  You should feel the same way and not allow unreasonable people to make you compromise any part of your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%