Baking Powder/soda Recipe Troubleshooting

Baking By kenzers624 Updated 19 Sep 2018 , 5:32pm by -K8memphis

kenzers624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenzers624 Posted 19 Sep 2018 , 12:41am
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

I have been using Bon Appetits best carrot cake recipe, but it has recently been coming out dense, dry on the edges and a bit of a spongy, gummy texture. 

thinking this had something to do with the ratios of baking powder, baking soda and acidic ingredients, I took it upon myself to tinker a little bit. 

The original recipe has 1 cup of buttermilk, 3/4 teaspoons of baking soda, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 2 1/2 cups of flour, along with some brown sugar. I reduced the baking soda to 1/2 a teaspoon, and replaced a 1/4 cup of regular sugar with brown sugar. The cake browned nicely, due to the extra brown sugar, surely, and had an lovely fluffy, moist texture. But it was fragile, like a chocolate cake, and it was flat, with no peak. I’m not sure if this is entirely a bad thing, but, I’m also concerned that my ratios of baking powder to flour to baking soda aren’t correct. 

Could a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda really make a huge differences in the cake texture or is it something else entirely? 

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2018 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 2

haven't a clue -- sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%