Sunnyside Up Fondant

Sugar Work By Macpac09 Updated 23 Sep 2018 , 1:22am by Macpac09

Macpac09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Macpac09 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 15

Hello! 

I am kind of in a bind.  Planning on making a last minute cake for a friend's birthday this weekend.  I normally buy Tylina Sweetshop fondant (my son liked the taste so I stuck with it using coupons for Michaels), however, Michaels doesn't seem to have it in stock at any stores locally.  I was going to try to buy Satin ice on Amazon because I have heard that is so popular, but I live in a surrounding area of where Hurricane Florence hit and Amazon cannot guarantee delivery until next week, even for prime confused

I don't want to use Wilton, my son didn't like that, and I trust if a 7 year old won't eat it.  I really don't have time or patience to make my own, it has always come out too soft and I will be short on time.  Another option is to maybe try Hobby Lobby's brand Sunnyside Up brand, that is readily available in my area.  

Has anyone worked with this fondant?  I was reading that perhaps it is similar to Satin Ice.  How did it fare?  

Thank you! 

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 15

i haven't tried it so i'm no help -- but if it is indeed like satin ice -- that's cool -- i just hate to see no one respond when you have time sensitive request -- sure it would be cool if i had something pertinent to day -- can't have everything -- jkjkjkjkjkj blush

Macpac09 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 15

Awe, thanks for responding to my post, eventhough you have no personal experience.  You are so helpful on this site. 

Macpac09 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 15

I guess I will try it and see! 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 15

thank you, macpac -- looks like you might be the first to try it -- please report on how it goes and i hope it all goes great

Macpac09 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 15

I will! I just bought some and will have my son taste it. If it doesn’t work out- I can save it for decorations or something rather than covering the whole cake. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 15

If he doesn't like it, try kneading in some more flavoring - vanilla, almond, cherry - whatever.  I don't like any fondant except Satin Ice Chocolate, which tastes like Tootsie Rolls.

Macpac09 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 15

Oh! I never thought of that before! thank you! 

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 19 Sep 2018 , 3:35am
post #9 of 15

I haven't tried it either so I'm curious to hear how it turns out. Of course I've never tried Satin Ice either, which I want to do now (particularly the chocolate)

Macpac09 Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 15

Hey there! I wanted to provide an update on the quality of the fondant. Taste wise my son really liked it. Even my husband said it was good. 

Now I am just a hobby cake decorator randomly  gifting for birthdays (mostly my kids) so I am no expert. But when it came to working with the fondant- it seemed to either dry out super quick- or I am very slow lol. I have never experienced that “elephant skin” but this did happen. It helped to knead shortening in the fondant before rolling but the end product does still have a few spots of the elephant skin. Also when I was trying to make the decorations- I had to work really really quickly. Since I do not do this all the time- it may be common but it was a first for me. Now the birthday party is tonight so I hope everyone likes it. Here is a picture of the final product!  Have a nice weekend! 

Sunnyside Up Fondant

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 15

You did an amazing job, MacPac09!  If you had issues, they do not show.  Well done!

WYBee Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 12:48am
post #12 of 15

Your cake turned out great!!!

WYBee Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 12:48am
post #13 of 15

Your cake turned out great!!!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 1:18am
post #14 of 15

awesome cake -- love your style

Macpac09 Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 1:22am
post #15 of 15

Thank you so much!! It was fun and my friend was so surprised! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%