Watercolor Buttercream Swoosh

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 17 Sep 2018 , 10:05pm by SandraSmiley

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 Sep 2018 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 25

love these  beautiful cakes with  these swooshes of color out of buttercream. The colors are variegated in color, curious about her method of doing this? techniqueWatercolor Buttercream Swoosh

24 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 1:37am
post #2 of 25

My first reaction was, boy, that would take a lot of practice, but after studying it closely, I believe the swatches are actually thinly rolled fondant that has been hand painted, then applied to the cake.  Could be wrong, of course, but that is my best guess.

cathyscakes Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 3:53am
post #3 of 25

Thanks Sandra, I have seen other cakes like this, and it shows pictures of a spatula applying the buttercream, but doesn't show how the colors are applied to the cake, so pretty sure its buttercream, but fondant could be an option too, thanks

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 25

that is an excellent question -- idk how they did it but i could reproduce it with a brush and piped on white dooeys with a 101s or a cut cone -- wow that's pretty

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 25

The reason I think it is painted (or brushed????) onto fondant and cut out is the perfectly smooth, clean edges.  You would never be able to get that using colored buttercream and a spatula.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 25

true -- but you might be able to attach something to the fondant to prevent the extra stray marks from appearing --

no , wait --

or or or it's some kind of edible ink & sugar paper ?

the edge/fold across the top edge is too creased and the paint pattern follows up over the edge -- you cannot do that with a spatula -- and the paint or buttercream or whatever would scrape off and build up a tad at the edge -- idk -- 

but those little white lines of fondant or icing are covering up something

icing image maybe? because it would have to be in small sections to not wrnikle too

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 25

Exactly, Kate!  But it is such a gorgeous cake!  I would love to give it a try.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 25

i wanna make one -- hahahahaha

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 25

I've seen similar cakes where they're definitely spreading buttercream with a spatula, but Sandra is right. That edge is just too perfect. What about doing the buttercream smear on waxed paper, refrigerating it to harden, and then applying it like modeling chocolate? 

To get the color like that, my guess is that there is a blob of white frosting on the waxed paper, the color is applied to the back of the spatula, and with one swift stroke, spread across the frosting. 

cathyscakes Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 25

Watercolor Buttercream Swoosh I'm thinking its either already blended on a pallet and picked up with a spatula, or dotted on the cake itself and the spatula swooshing thru it.  Wish there was a tutorial on it, a lot of Russian cake decorators are doing this method. Tons of beautiful cakes like this.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 25

frozen buttercream swooshfer 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 25

i gotta get out on you tube more often 

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 25

Now, that one definitely looks like buttercream done directly on the cake.  These cakes are gorgeous!  I have not seen the technique before.  I am going to Youtube with Kate!

cathyscakes Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 10:54pm
post #14 of 25

The link for one of the Russian ladies is dash_she, you can google, and it will link you to her Instagram, she has lots of beautiful cakes.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 25

Could the yellow one possibly be airbrushed ?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2018 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 25

they are just well versed on a spatula technique -- if we just practiced for a while - we'd get it

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 12:22am
post #17 of 25

I could not find it, Cathy, but I will keep looking.  Kate, I think I am going to try this every time I make a cake for Mike and me.  I sure can't pipe, but if am in love with water color buttercream and I would love to master this!

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 1:21am
post #18 of 25

I found a tutorial...or two.  In Russian, of course, but you can still see how she does it.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 1:22am
post #19 of 25

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 1:22am
post #20 of 25

cathyscakes Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 2:52am
post #21 of 25

Thanks Sandra, that really helps, and to get the white raised border on the edge, must just pipe more white and run the spatula thru it. Thanks so much!! 

cathyscakes Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 2:56am
post #22 of 25

Sandra,    dasha_she   Sorry I left off the a, she is on Instagram, check out her cakes, they are beautiful. 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 2:59pm
post #23 of 25

Yes, I picked up on the white border being made with a dollop of white frosting.  I've thought and thought about the first picture and I am wondering if they used like a custom made stencil to keep the edges clean???  It is a datgum mystery!  I am going to try to find dasha_she again.

cathyscakes Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 5:38pm
post #24 of 25

I found another video she did on her Instagram..   She put dollops of green and burgundy along the top of the cake, then I notice she had something in a bottle, could be liquid color, it was liquid that she put in several spots and ran her spatula thru it. She didn't put any white dollops, and Sandra, if you go to her Instagram the tutorial is under her Instagram stories, its a quick tutorial.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 10:05pm
post #25 of 25

Thanks.  You've got me itching to break out the buttercream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%