Whipped Cream Icing

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 12 Sep 2018 , 2:08pm by -K8memphis

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 11 Sep 2018 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 4

I decided to try making an ice cream cake for my husband's birthday. This is 3 layers of actual cake with ice cream between the layers.

I stacked the cake/ice cream layers and let it set up in the freezer for a couple of hours. I put on a crumbcoat of whipped cream icing and let it set up again for about 30 minutes.

When I tried to put a full coating of icing on the cake , the icing immediately began melting. It slid off the cake as quickly as I could get it on. What the heck?

Here's the frosting recipe I used:

https://bakingamoment.com/whipped-cream-frosting/

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this fiasco?

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2018 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 4

nearly three cups of cream to 8 oz of cream cheese is a lot of cream -- my best guess is that it's probably under whipped -- and so when it freezes the water crystallizes and when you go to work it on the cake -- it just slides off --

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 12 Sep 2018 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you. I thought that was a ton of cream as well. Is there a way to fix it? Just keep whipping it? I was afraid to over whip.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2018 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 4

properly whipped whipped cream needs no stabilizers -- if you whip it too long it turns to butter right?

so whip it until just before it turns to butter otherwise it won't work -- it will weep and if frozen it's a mess

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%