Shorting In Frosting Need Some Help

Decorating By smile22 Updated 4 Sep 2018 , 11:01pm by -K8memphis

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 2 Sep 2018 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 15

I’m making 2 dozen carrot cakes next weekend for a bridal shower I make this amazing citrus cream cheese buttercream using just butter powder sugar a hint a vanilla and fresh squeeze juice from an orange with a little zest. That I pipe into a round swirl.

I mistakenly told the bride I could do that cupcake in a rose using the Wilton 2d piping tip.  

I found a recipe on here that used shortening to get the cream cheese buttercream to crust but I have never used shortening in any of my frostings and I’m worried it’s going to taste to oily or like a grocery store frosting.

is there a way to get the crusting on the frosting without using the shortening? 

If I use the shortening will it taste oily 

14 replies
smile22 Posted 2 Sep 2018 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 15

Forgot to add I use cream cheese in the citrus recipe one 8oz block it wouldn’t let me edit kept giving me error message 

smile22 Posted 2 Sep 2018 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 15

Forgot to add I use cream cheese in the citrus recipe one 8oz block it wouldn’t let me edit kept giving me error message 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2018 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 15

shortening itself doesn't crust more than butter -- it's the ratio of powdered sugar to fat -- so add a little more powdered sugar or some corn starch for better crusting -- i'd skip the shortening altogether myself --

and you gotta keep them cold! cream cheese is a hazardous ingredient

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Sep 2018 , 1:45am
post #5 of 15

-K8memphis is correct.  I've made a crusting ceam cheese frosting a bunch of times and it works fine for frosting the cake, especially as it is kept refrigerated most of the time, but I have not had a lot of success piping flowers with it.  Just too soft.

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Sep 2018 , 1:46am
post #6 of 15

Oh, I forgot to add that I use all butter when making cream cheese frosting.

smile22 Posted 3 Sep 2018 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 15

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 20 hours ago

smile22 Posted 3 Sep 2018 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 15

Quote by @smile22 on 6 seconds ago

I’m using these on cupcakes I realized using the 2d tip will make it to soft so I’m going to pipe a rosette using the 1m tip I’m just looking for a cream cheese buttercream that will make it a little more firm and stiff 

smile22 Posted 3 Sep 2018 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 15

Quote by @smile22 on 6 seconds ago

I’m using these on cupcakes I realized using the 2d tip will make it to soft so I’m going to pipe a rosette using the 1m tip I’m just looking for a cream cheese buttercream that will make it a little more firm and stiff 

smile22 Posted 3 Sep 2018 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 15

Totally realized that using this on my phone does not always get what I was looking for clear I’m not making 2 dozen carrot cakes I’m making 2 dozen carrot cake cupcakes. I wanted to make a Rose shape but realized it will be to soft so I’m thinking a rosett shape might work better if I can get a stiffer or thicker frosting 

smile22 Posted 3 Sep 2018 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 15

Totally realized that using this on my phone does not always get what I was looking for clear I’m not making 2 dozen carrot cakes I’m making 2 dozen carrot cake cupcakes. I wanted to make a Rose shape but realized it will be to soft so I’m thinking a rosett shape might work better if I can get a stiffer or thicker frosting 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2018 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 15

i pictured cupcakes :)

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 4 Sep 2018 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 15

It's funny, I once saw a baking blog with a cake with cream cheese frosting, frosted fairly intricately with the crispest, stiffest edges I'd ever seen for a cream cheese frosting.  I immediately asked the blogger how she managed it with such a soft frosting.

Funny, she never did answer me.  Huh. Wonder why?  (If anyone is missing my mild sarcasm, I suspect cheating on the part of that blogger and that it wasn't cream cheese at all.)

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Sep 2018 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 15

I could have well been -K8memphis's version of a mock cream cheese frosting, which is much more stable.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2018 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 15

add cornstarch and the icing will stiffen up beautifully

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%