Help With Double Barrel/2 Tier Wedding Cake For 100!

Baking By rachel.f Updated 9 Aug 2018 , 10:17pm by me_me1

rachel.f Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel.f Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 1:32am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone - I'm new to Cake Central and need some advice on a wedding cake I've been tasked with making for a friend next month. I've done a few cakes before but never on this scale (to serve 100) and never a double barrel/double height tier.

I found this post on Sprinkle Bakes (https://www.sprinklebakes.com/2014/03/chocolate-celebration-cake-for-100.html) which is what I'm basing the shape on and I've found the step-by-step guide really helpful!
Mine will have a double barrel 10" cake on the bottom tier, with an 8 inch top tier. The cake is going to be covered in a white chocolate cream cheese ganache-like frosting > no fondant.

I don't have the cake separators that have been used in the link, but I've read that it would also be fine to use cake boards to separate the double-height tier (for cutting), and underneath the top tier. Is that right?

My main questions are about cake boards:
- What size drum board should I use under the base? Would a 13" be sufficient to allow for frosting to be added to the 10" cake and still have room for some fresh flowers around the base of the cake?
- What size board should be used in the double barrel tier?  11" to use as a frosting guide all the way around (I read this somewhere on the internet) or 10" so it's the same size as the cake itself (but I assume you will have to use your finger to find the cake board through the frosting when it comes time to separate the layers to cut)?
- What size cake board beneath the top 8" tier -  8" (cake size) or 9" (as a frosting guide as above)

I'm based in Sydney Australia - if anyone has any recommendations, tips or tricks I would be super grateful.  Hope I'm being clear - some of the terminology is new to me!

Cheers,
Rachel

6 replies
andertoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andertoncakes Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 1:54am
post #2 of 7

HI! I would use 14in for the base of the cake. Put the double barrel on a 10in board and that would sit on the 14in. Make sure to put icing between the boards to keep it from moving. The 8in tier should be on an 8in board. Hope this was helpful! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 3:14am
post #3 of 7

rachel.f, I like to trim my cake boards (underneath the tier and the one used on top as a guide when applying frosting) to about 1/2 inch larger than the actual cake.  That gives an approximate thickness of 1/4 inch of frosting. If you like more frosting, leave your boards slightly larger.

The cake board that you use in the middle of your double barrel tier should be trimmed slightly smaller than the cake so it will not show once the cake has been frosted.  You do not need to separate the two halves of the double barrel tier prior to cutting.  Just start at the top and cut until you feel the cake board.  That will yield the appropriate size serving.  Once all the top half has been served, remove the cake board and start serving the bottom half.  It will help to remove the cake board (the one that is in the middle of the double barrel) if you put a piece of wax paper underneath if.  It will also cause less damage to the frosting on top of the bottom half.

Yes, you can absolutely use regular cardboard cake boards underneath your tiers.  Don't forget to dowel the bottom half of your double barrel and the top half to support the tier above.

I agree that you need at least 14 inches for your base.  That only leaves two inches all the way around.

Best of luck to you!

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 3:32am
post #4 of 7

Oh that is so smart to cut the boards a bit larger and use as a frosting guide! 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 7

Hello! I'm not sure if that might be a US thing to be trimming boards? I'm in Perth, Aus and the boards I buy are way too stiff/thick to be easily trimmed...  I'd need some industrial tools for that! Rachel.f - not sure what boards you get in Sydney but if they are like the ones on this side of the country then I don't think you'll need to (or be able to) trim.

I do double barrels often and just make sure I have enough frosting on the outside to fill any gaps.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your cake!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 7

me_me1, the cake boards to which I am referring are made of heavy cardboard and can be trimmed with kitchen scissors or an Xacto knife.  It is common practice to use two or three of them glued together if they need to be stronger.  For heavy cakes, I use a wooden base which I cut myself.  I thought power tools were a normal part of cake decorating, lol!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 7

Hi Sandra!!   :)

I think our boards must be a bit different then. So interesting in this place finding out all the different things people use etc. No way I'd be able to cut our Aussie boards with scissors or a Stanley knife.

Lol, yup, I have gotten the power tools out before! My partner always looks at me like 'what the actual heck are you about to do with that and what have I done wrong?!?' when I borrow his power drill - bwahahah   :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%