Tips Needed

Decorating By BMoore9009 Updated 6 Aug 2018 , 11:07pm by bubs1stbirthday

BMoore9009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BMoore9009 Posted 6 Aug 2018 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 2

In the next few upcoming weeks, I want to make my son a Fortnite cake for his 9th birthday. 

I have toyed with fondant and making characters (Pokemon Peppa Pig) in the past and it wasn't as easy as people make it seem. I plan on trying to use the modeling chocolate/candy clay recipe for making figures and I wanted to make my own marshmallow fluff fondant for covering the cake.

Does anyone know if the marshmallow fluff fondant is stiff enough to hold up to the candy clay figures without tearing?

Any tips on storing in a way my 3-year-old can't climb and eat them? laughing

Any recommendations on sculpting figures from the modeling chocolate/candy clay? 

Would adding tylose to the MFF work to make it stiffer?

Any recommendations on a buttercream or a whipped cream frosting that would be able to hold up the MFF on a hot summer day? 

Any cake recipes you swear by for making a cake that holds up well under MFF in heat?

Just any and all tips greatly appreciated so I am able to try and accomplish this, are greatly appreciated.

1 reply
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Aug 2018 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 2

If you are going to have it near heat, first off, try to keep it cool - keep in a 3 sided box and pop some ice packs around it (you can keep it in a closed box of course but a 3 sided one will allow you to show it off :-), consider a shortening based buttercream if it will be in heat for any length of time.

My then 3 year old once ate one of my decorations that I stayed up late making..... at first I was super upset but when I made the replacement it was way better than the first so it's not always a bad thing lol.

I wouldn't add tylose to fondant that will go on the cake.

Do not use whipped cream on the cake if it will touch the fondant - the fondant will melt faster than an ice cream on a hot day lol, speaking of hot days, don't use cream as a filling if the cake will not be kept cold until immediately before serving, cream is a perishable filling and must be kept cold as you would normally before you eat it.

For help with modelling chocolate questions I can't help yo, I never have any luck with it, I now use a product called 'princess paste' which is kind of a hybrid modelling chocolate that you can buy - it tastes great and is easy to work with but I have only made basic things with it - flowers, some 'lolly pops' (mix of modelling chocolate I made and princess paste for those as they were to be eaten) etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%