Friday Night Cake Club For 8/3/18

Decorating By kstevens Updated 10 Aug 2018 , 10:11am by kstevens

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 2:50am
post #1 of 14

Albeit later than usual, opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Still stupid hot here in NS.  I don't like to wish my life away but I am so looking forward to it being fall!  Because it was so warm and humid I opted not to make the belated birthday cake for my co-worker this week.  I feel It's a design that won't hold up in the humidity.  I did make a cake for another co-worker this week however.  It was a Freddie Mercury cake based on the Threadless t-shirt design by Pablo Bustos.  For the past three summers I have worked in a research lab where (the very generalized) main focus is studying mercury in ecosystems.  A post doc in the lab who has been an invaluable member of the group is leaving to teach at another university so I made a farewell cake for her.  The cake was banana with Nutella SMBC and chocolate ganache.  Freddie is also cake.  He was a hit! 

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to.

Kelly

13 replies
kstevens Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 2:51am
post #2 of 14

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 5:03am
post #3 of 14

kstevens that is outstanding!!  all those little squares for the table.  Well Done.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 8:50am
post #4 of 14

Love the Freddie Mercury cake!

I made a pina colada cake this week. Coconut sponge, pineapple jam, coconut and rum buttercream. I would add more pineapple if I did it again as it mostly tasted of pineapple. 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 14

Wow, those cakes are so creative! Love them both! I am a huge Queen fan so Freddy especially appeals - so cute!

I just had another couple of the textured buttercream/fresh flower orders this week.

me_me1 Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 14

Still waiting for pro pics of last week's engagement cake but the whole thing was done with the aged stone/bas relief sort of thing Jasmine Rae has been teaching recently.... I just adore all the texture in there. Travelling with a fully stacked 4-tier cake was somewhat daunting though!

me_me1 Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 14

And this was last week's wedding. The design was the bride's own - she is obsessed with blue   :)

Took three hours to install all of the flowers!

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 12:07am
post #8 of 14

Wow, wow, wow bakers.  Your cakes are beautiful!

MBalaska Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 14

Louglou: very cute pineapple cake. Well done.

me_me1: nice texturing on the cake, it’s very unique.

kstevens Posted 8 Aug 2018 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 14

@MBalaska thanks!  The squares were a little tedious to cut as I didn't have a square cutter that was the right size.  

@louglou your pineapple looks great and sounds yummy!

@me_me1 I always love your textured buttercream cakes!

me_me1 Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 11:43am
post #11 of 14

Nawww, thanks lovelies!!

Finally got a pro shot of the bas relief/aged stone cake... love how it turned out and matched the fresh flowers!

MBalaska Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 5:28am
post #12 of 14

the real stone look :  that cake is unique & quite eye catching.  The real flowers are a perfect compliment.  Well Done!!

MBalaska Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 5:33am
post #13 of 14

I decided to try some red lace with the yellow & red hibiscus sugar flowers after making the yellow lace cake.  Unfortunately the red powdered food color that I used turned the lace into a nice shade of burgundy  (ouch) not matching the flowers at all.  Oh well it's done and dusted for now.  That set of colors is not residing in the city dump and I'll just stick to my Americolor gels. And be thankful that I don't have a business LOL.

kstevens Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 10:11am
post #14 of 14

@me_me1 that cake is stunning!

@MBalaska I know it's not what you had envisioned but it's still pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%