Anyone Ever Used Fresh Mozerella As A Filling?

Baking By emarcomd Updated 2 Jan 2019 , 12:56am by emarcomd

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 13

I have a friend who doesnt much like frosting or jam, but likes mozerella cheese.  (Shes “okay” with cream cheese) and that got me thinking, why not mozarella in a cake?

we use ricotta plenty in sweet things, so couldnt we make mozarella work somehow?

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 12:03am
post #2 of 13

My initial reaction is NO, that is for lasagna.  What about a naked cake with a thin smear of cream cheese frosting between the layers?

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 12:47am
post #3 of 13

You could try mascarpone  It is a lot thicker than cream cheese.  I think even fresh buffalo mozzarella would not have the desired texture since it has had a chance to form curds.  Something to think about though.  Maybe you're onto something.  The next big trend!

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 1:28am
post #4 of 13

Hmm.  Maybe look up some Asian dessert recipes for inspiration.  There's a Youtube channel I watch where he travels to mostly Asian countries eating. He eats a LOT.  And I've noticed he's had desserts with mozzarella. It's a very bland, milky cheese so I could see it.  Only thing is that it might be hard to flavor since it would be served cold or room temp.

TheElegantEmerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheElegantEmerald Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 1:30am
post #5 of 13

I 10000000% second the mascarpone!  Here's the recipe that I love--it's pipeable, easy to make, not too sweet, and very light. I have had no trouble making adjustments flavor wise.

1 (8-ounce) tub of mascarpone cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream

1)  Whip the heavy cream in a large bowl.

2)  In a separate bowl, combine the mascarpone, vanilla, powdered sugar, and salt.

3)  Fold 1/3 of the whipped cream into the mascarpone, then fold that back into the large bowl of whipped cream.  Enjoy!  :)

TheElegantEmerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheElegantEmerald Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 1:30am
post #6 of 13

Oh, and the recipe is adapted from bakedbree.com, by the way. 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 13

The first thing I thought of when I read the post was Now THAT'S a cheesecake!   I agree with trying mascarpone.  If you're looking to make something for your friend, why not try the cut-up-watermelon-and-other-fruits-to-look-like-a-cake that's all over Pinterest  or a deep dish pizza that looks like a cake (I've done both as birthday cakes for family).  If you are just thinking outside the box in general - hooray for you! Keep us posted!

Best,

Theresa

JustOneMoreCake Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 13

ooh, okay, and there's a sweet cheese MIddle Eastern dessert where the crepe part can be made with mozzarella and then it's stuffed with cream.  It's cut into bite size pieces but I bet you can adapt it to be a cake layer.  And then, instead of filling with cream, you could fill with burrata!  Have you ever had burrata?  It's ridiculous, it's so good.  Something like this would pretty much need to be served right after making it but I bet you could figure it out!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 13

wow -- can't believe i never heard of burrata -- i looked it up and what i saw said it's italian but how cool! never heard of it before -- i don't know if i'll ever make it -- maybe i'll make it with my kids one day

JustOneMoreCake Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 13

I only discovered it a few years ago but it was one of those "where have you been all my life, lovah?" deals. That's how good it is!  So far, I only eat it during the summer as I love it best with in-season tomatoes but I'll find other ways. :-)

I don't make it though,  Bel Gioso (sp?) sells a very good version.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 13

oh i gotta get some of this! thank you, justonemorecake

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 3 Aug 2018 , 1:59am
post #12 of 13

I’ve also never heard of burrata cheese. And I grew up around a lot of Italians. Two of my female friends are Italian, and I’ve never heard them speak of it. So, what else, I googled. Apparently it’s been made for a long time in Italy,in a very small area,  but didn’t become widespread until the 1950’s.  Big commercial cheese makers  started to made burrata cheese in larger quantities using same techniques as small cheese shops. Took  off in restaurants in  2017, especially in Mumbai, India. Then restaurants in New York. From there I guess it got into the grocery stores and specialty shops. I’m definitely going to look for it. 

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 2 Jan 2019 , 12:56am
post #13 of 13

Quote by @JustOneMoreCake on 1 Aug 2018 , 6:28pm

Do you remember the name of the YouTube channel?

Hmm.  Maybe look up some Asian dessert recipes for inspiration.  There's a Youtube channel I watch where he travels to mostly Asian countries eating. He eats a LOT.  And I've noticed he's had desserts with mozzarella. It's a very bland, milky cheese so I could see it. 

Do

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%