Quotes On 6 Different Cakes

Business By sweetsmash Updated 1 Aug 2018 , 1:29am by costumeczar

sweetsmash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsmash Posted 30 Jul 2018 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 5

This happens every so often, and I've never known how to deal with it exactly: a customer sent an email with pictures of 6 different cakes (all in the same theme, just different designs), wanting a quote on each individually. Now, we all know that quoting custom cakes is time-consuming, but something that is accounted for in the price in the end. But that's usually based on developing a design off a couple images maybe, not pricing out 6 different designs and THEN developing the exact design. How would you deal with this? Just tack on an extra flat-rate charge for each quote? Warn the customer that this will be the case? I'm at a loss and tired of taking my (valuable) time to do all these quotes. I appreciate any feedback!

4 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 30 Jul 2018 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 5

I am still trying to figure out all this pricing stuff myself, so I would ask myself...

How different are the designs?  Is one far more involved?  Is one super simple?  Are they pretty much the same in regards to work involved?

How many servings does she want?

Maybe pretend that you did design the cakes she is showing you...how would you price out that design?

How do you typically price out a cake?  Do you have a price per serving cost and then add on to that depending upon the design difficulty/involvement?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2018 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 5

i would give a range of prices from the per serving base quote and the most you might be likely to charge, exaggerate it a bit higher too -- for your own sake -- and say you can't be more specific until she is more specific -- give yourself the wiggle room -- advise her there's additional charge for additional work and leave it at that -- i mean you could advise that giving exact quotes is for ordering the cake -- giving quotes for at last five cakes that will not be purchased is too time consuming -- and she's craycray -- yeah leave out the last part :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2018 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 5

*least

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 1:29am
post #5 of 5

I would tell her that the prices would range somewhere from $X to $Y per serving depending on the final design, and that it's difficult to figure out a quote until you have an exact design specified. Just make the range go from the cheapest to the most expensive based on the photos she sent.  I'd also just start  setting a base minimum price that applies to every cake order and then adding on based on the final design. That way you weed out a lot of people who will waste your time with multiple emails and quotes etc and not ever book anything. You can just tell people that the minimum for the cake to serve 100 will be $500 for example, if your minimum charge is $5 a serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%