How Much To Charge For Cake Tasting

Business By 1haleyj Updated 19 Jul 2018 , 12:39pm by LindsayH

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!  I am a small home based bakery for the past 3 years.  Busy pretty much every weekend.  This is the first time anyone has asked for a formal tasting for a wedding cake.  Not sure how to charge for that as I have no retail outlet and whatever isn't used is wasted and actually ends up costing me.  I thought about making cupcakes, but again, I will end up giving away at least a dozen of each flavor she wants to taste.  Any suggestions on how to charge?

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 4

I do not frequently sell cakes and have never done a tasting, but I've seen quite often, folks who regularly do tastings, charge between $35 and $50 for three samples of cake, three fillings and a couple of frostings for two to three people.  If the bride orders a wedding cake over a certain amount, maybe $300, then the cost of the tasting is rolled into the total cost.

You could always advertises on your FB page that you have a dozen chocolate cupcakes with vanillia buttercream (for example) for sale.  I have a friend who sell oodles of cakes and that is how she uses all of her left overs.  She will post a picture to tempt people and she never has anything left over.

Hope this helps and good luck!

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Sandra!  I did see several threads with info after I posted my question.  I love that you guys are always there to help!

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 4

I've only done one wedding cake tasting, but I did it with cupcakes. I did three flavor combinations. My base recipe calls for 3 eggs, so I split everything into thirds and only made a third of a recipe of each cupcake. So in total, I had one full batch of cupcakes, not three. I still had extras afterward, but getting rid of a dozen was a lot easier than three dozen. Of course, the time to do the work is still about the same, but you won't be shelling out so much for ingredients if you do it this way. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%