Decorating By Kirstio Updated 19 Jul 2018 , 12:31pm by LindsayH

Kirstio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kirstio Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 17

Made my first wedding cake yesterday

this semi naked cake.

i took it to venue to assemble at 12.00

weddimg was at 1.30

it was 28 degrees here. The wedding was in a marquee ! It was stifling. I kept telling them it was too hot 

no air con. They put a fan on it, but it kept going off.

i left it not happy with the heat- I messaged the bride, sister and mother telling them to keep an eye on it because it was too hot.

i just heard that the venue turned the fan off and left it!

it collapsed. I'm heartbroken and feel at fault! Gutted: Wedding Cake CollapsedGutted: Wedding Cake Collapsed

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 17
Kirstio Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 17

Sorry wouldn't post so I made new one and now it seems to have posted again and again 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 17

Starters... The cake was beautiful and lovely...

You set it up beautifully...

You told them it was too warm for the cake... 

The wedding was at 130 or the Reception was at 130?

So basically a big tent wedding...  Was your buttercream all butter or a butter shortening mix?

Ahead of time questions:  Did you know it was going to basically be an outdoor wedding ahead of time?  Did you know there wouldn't be air conditioning ahead of time? Did you suggest that the cake be kept elsewhere till cutting/picture time?  Did you suggest that they do the cake pictures and cutting early so that the cake could be taken away to some place cooler for the rest of the reception?  

80 plus degrees either way is a bit much... especially for several hours...

If they would like photos of what it looked like upon set up, send them yours...

Kirstio Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 17

Hi

no I had no idea it was an outside wedding!

normak buttercream 

no didn't know there wasn't any air con

i told the staff it was too hot and they never suggested they had anywhere colder!

The bride saw it all set up before the ceremony x 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 17

also you will learn a lot too -- so at your next consult ASK where the reception will be blush then don't tell them about this experience till you've made 100 tier cakes -- but explain to them with the voice of wisdom and authority that the cake serves two purposes, focal point of reception and dessert -- they lose the focal point part -- half it's emphasis --  because the cake has to be kept cold aka out of sight until a few minutes before it's served rather than the two hours of ooohs and ahhhs they're still paying for but not getting because it will melt --

so you need to learn to package up your work to protect it till the last minute too -- sealed corrugated cardboard boxes + cold cake will hold a cake perfectly --

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 17

I'm so sorry that happened to your cake.  It looks lovely in your picture.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 17

Wow, 82degrees in a venue is too warm even for me when I'm all dressed up in my fancy clothes (not to mention pantyhose!).   And I love hot weather!!  Definitely too warm for a cake.  you have my sympathies!

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 17

it was  only 82 degrees? the fan did it -- the cake would be soft and approaching squishy but it could definitely last in 82 degrees -- a marquee is a big overhanging sign in the us -- don't know exactly what a marquee is -- but if it's a tent or something enclosed then the temp was higher inside esp counting all the hot sweaty bodies like gi said -- then the heated air providing the convection connection -- yeah inevitable -- but 82 is actually do-able -- not 82 and sitting in the sun though

Kirstio Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 17

A marquee is a big tent here!

outside temp was 82 bit inside was a lot hotter. Right next to the tent sides 

it was like the inside of a car on a hot day 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 17

yeah -- I getcha -- I love your cake and i'll be honest -- i'm older and i'm just not a fan of the naked cake -- generational thing i think -- and nothing wrong with that -- but yours is done So Cool with the caramel drips and the roses and flowers placed just so -- then that little log, cuppies & all -- that whole setup is so artistic -- I absolutely love it -- so be very proud of your work -- I am

Kirstio Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you 

you made me cry xxx

im gutted. I just can't help feeling to blame. But I told them it was too hot 

I left them messages telling them to keep an eye on it because I was so worried! 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 17

green_heart

Kirstio Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 8:30am
post #14 of 17

Ugh I saw someone this morning who was at the wedding!

they said the venue had just left the cake and by the time they realised it was too late. 

But the venue have said that it's the cake makers fault as I should have put support in?

it obviously had wooden dowels in every tier but that can't stop it from melting and sliding off? 

Just cross they are trying to blame me 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 17

Just let it go!  You were totally blameless, Kirstio and there is nothing you could have done about it.  If they cut the cake, or even if they didn't and it really did collapse, they could see the freakin' supports!  Put it behind you and look ahead.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 17

yes let it go on the inside but definitely tell the bride that her guest or the employee that worked the wedding said that the venue let it go -- i mean they knew the cake was melting -- it should have been cut and served immediately -- that is On Them -- Not You and it's important -- if the bride has been in contact with you over this -- tell her -- if she has been mum -- i'd stay mum too -- hope you have that person's name if you wind up needing it --

sounds like someone has been talking to the bride be sure you stand up for yourself if need be -- whoever as in charge of the food is the culprit --

keep me posted -- i'm quite interested

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 12:31pm
post #17 of 17

As others have said, this is in no way your fault. But it's still understandable that you feel bad about the situation. 

If you feel like it, as a gesture, you could offer the couple a free 6" top tier replica cake on their 1 year anniversary. I know some bakers include this in their wedding cake packages so the couple doesn't have to freeze the top tier for a year. Totally up to you, though. You're not obligated to do anything else. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%