Feeling Burned Out And Unmotivated

Lounge By bakemeenchanted Updated 14 Jul 2018 , 2:53pm by bakemeenchanted

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 12 Jul 2018 , 1:14am
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone. Just wanted to look in for some moral support.

I've been feeling so burned out lately when it comes to making cakes. I'm no longer excited about trying new techniques and thinking about working on the next order makes my heart sink.

I don't know what's happened all of a sudden.

I've cut way back on how many orders I take, just one per week for now, but even working on that single one requires every ounce of my willpower.

Has anyone else experienced this? I still love making cakes and I could spend hours on Pinterest and watching videos, just when I get down to it, it makes me so sad.

I hate this slump

7 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 12 Jul 2018 , 2:11am
post #2 of 8

Sorry to hear you're feeling like that   :(

Has something bad happened recently to make you feel that way or has it just been building up over a period of time?

Hope you feel better soon - maybe you need a holiday??

xx

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 12 Jul 2018 , 5:54am
post #3 of 8

Sorry to hear you're feeling that way, but you are not alone! I used to love doing cakes and other things, but people happened. I have no helpful advice because I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm supposed to be doing cakes for my niece and nephew this weekend, and every time I think about it, my anxiety goes sky high, and if I roll my eyes any harder I will probably see my brain. All I can offer is a hug and a cookie. Maybe a short term break is in order?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 12 Jul 2018 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with ypierce82 that a short break may be in order.  I think most people, even if they love what they do, can get burned out.  So maybe take a few weeks off completely.  Or maybe take a few weeks off from taking orders and focus on making a grand cake that is everything you want out of a cake.  Making cakes for others is fun and all, but sometimes making something just for yourself is even better and possibly therapeutic. 

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 12:44am
post #5 of 8

In my career life it was called burn out, very common problem.  The others are right, you need to take a break where you get completely away from cakes, don't even think about it for awhile. Then you can return to it with a fresh outlook.  You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of the people and things in your life

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 1:26am
post #6 of 8

I love participating in collaborations with cake artists from all around the world, to give me the opportunity to push myself and really get creative.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 8

yeah that is burn out -- you need a break -- it's part of the process -- best to you

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your words everyone! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this and that there's something I can do about it.

Taking all your advice, I'll take a month off as soon as my last booked order is done. I did take a few weeks off a couple of months ago, but I was busy with something else and just replaced one worry with another.

Me_me1 and ypierce, I do think it's people and small unpleasant interactions I've had all year with customers. 2 or 3 jump out which really left me upset for days. I guess it all just piled up and when I came back from my pseudo-break it was just too much.

Sandra smiley, I saw one of your pieces that you made for a collaboration on Pakistan. Really lovely!

Thank you doz, k8memphis, and freckles! A break it is, and hoping to come back rested and stronger!

Just reading your responses made me feel so much better *hugs back*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%