Cleaning Brushes Of Colour

Decorating By StephChivas Updated 9 Jul 2018 , 6:45pm by SandraSmiley

StephChivas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephChivas Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 2

Hi guys, 

So I usually use my airbrush for a whole cake colour, but on a lot of shaped cakes I sometimes just paint specific areas that need it -esp gold and silver- with food colouring thinned with vodka/clear food essence. Problem then comes to clean the brush and get all the colour out. I’ve done this with loads of brushes and because it’s wet some of the colouring has seeped up into the higher bristles and unfortunately some of my brushes are now just dark or black food colouring use brushes XD 

I read a post about using cornflour on a piece of kitchen roll to clean off lustre dust. But will this work for my other brushes? Obviously cleaning them when wet will result in a huge sticky mess. So does anyone have any advice on how to do this? 

I usually swill them around in a cup of water and dry them as best I can with the kitchen roll. If they’re still super bad I clean with soap and water, but the number of times I’ve thought I had a completely clean brush and then go to paint a pale colour and suddenly have a big muddy mess when other colour comes out to mix into it T_T 

I’m at my wits end buying new brushes to reply all my perfectly good ones that are just dyed a constant black now. 

Stephanie

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 2

I clean my brushes of food colors exactly like I clean my oil paint brushes (except I don't use turpentine).  First, I rinse the bushes in water, then put a bit of dish soap in the palm of my hand and wash the bushes around in it until no more color is coming out of the brush.  Then I rinse them well under running water.  Next, I take a bar of soap, wet the brushes and brush them vigorourly around on the bar of soap, pressing hard enough so the soap gets all the way up to the handle.  You will be surprised at how much more color is remaining in the bristles.  I soap and rinse until no more color is coming out of the brushes.  When they are clean, I blot off most of the water, then swirl them around over the bar of soap, enough to coat them, and reshape the bristles to their original form.  The soap will hold them in place until you are ready to use them again.

I use the same brushes until they wear out with no issues - including black and red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%