This Chalkboard Look?

Decorating By Eva2 Updated 11 Jul 2018 , 9:17pm by Bakerlady2

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 15

Can some please help me. How would I get this chalkboard look? Also how would I get the lettering on the cake? It looks so neat. I looked for stencils but could not find any. Thank you in advance!

14 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 15

This Chalkboard Look?I don't see a picture.To do a chalkboard cake dust white petal dust over black fondant and rub in. Add vodka to the dust and use a thin paintbrush to letter. It takes practice. Here is my winky first attempt.

Eva2 Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 15

This Chalkboard Look?This is what the cake looks like

whatthedogate Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 15

That's cute. You could make yourself a stencil for the basic format of the font and then remove the stencil and free form it from there. 

Eva2 Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 15

Whatthedogate, thank you for taking the time to get back to me. I have never made a stencil before, I have no idea how to even start one.

Eva2 Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 15

Whatthedogate, thank you for taking the time to get back to me. I have never made a stencil before, I have no idea how to even start one.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 15

Freehand the lettering.  Whatthedogate's cake looks much more like a chalkboard than the attached picture.

whatthedogate Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 15

To make a stencil I would print out what I wanted and then cut out the letters, leaving the rest of the paper intact.  You could pin this to your fondant covered cake and then mark the cutout spaces to create the letter.  Make sure you remove those pins!  But I agree with Sandra that the design you're wanting could be done freehand to great effect.  Just start in the center.  For example, on the "VINTAGE" I would do the T first and then the N, A, I, G, V, E so that you get the arch just so.  Work from the center out. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 15

When I do chalkboard cakes, and I've only done 3 so far lol, I used powdered sugar to give it that "erased" chalkboard look. I also used bright white candy melts, put them in the freezer to harden, broke them in half to create a point, and then used the pointy end to do my writing.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 15

That is an awesome tip.  Never thought about using candy melts!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 15

I can't remember where I saw the idea, but it worked like a charm. 

Eva2 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 1:17pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you so much everyone for the help!!!

Eva2 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you so much everyone for the help!!!

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 11 Jul 2018 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 15

you could also cover the cake with the black fondant and make "chalk" out of white chocolate to write your letters on the cake. As for the white chalk dust ... I would roll the fondant out on 10X sugar and make sure the "sugared" side is on the outside.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 11 Jul 2018 , 9:17pm
post #15 of 15

aahhh.. I should read everybody elses reply before I reply..Sorry ypierce82, I didn't read your reply til after I posted and then realized you said the same thing. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%