Best Gold Luster Dust?

Decorating By AddieAngel Updated 8 Jul 2018 , 12:33am by maybenot

AddieAngel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AddieAngel Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 10

Good morning everyone,

I will like to know which is one of the best gold luster dust to use. There are so many around and I’m honestly clueless as which one is the best or at least one that really looks like gold rather than a dark yellowish color. I know I’m in the best place to get some guidance. Thanks in advance. 

9 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 10

If you're in the US and want an edible product, it cannot contain real metal [E175].  I suggest roxyandrich.com hybrid luster and/or hybrid sparkle [NOT highlighter dust].

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 10:58am
post #3 of 10

I'm really liking the Faye Cahill range of lustres at the moment. Good coverage and lovely sheen.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 10

I ordered some from Evil Cake Genius for a unicorn cake I made.  Loved it!  It was a nice gold color because I had ordered another gold product from a different company and that ended up being more orangey-gold which was not what I was going for.

maybenot Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 12:07am
post #5 of 10

Be careful. 

Faye Cahill dusts are made in Australia of "imported" ingredients.   Edible in Australia is not the same as edible in the US.  Odds are extremely high that the metallics--especially gold & silver--contain actual metals and are therefore not edible in the US.

Evil Cake Genius hawks an italian product that is actually labeled inedible and then tells people, "Oh, go ahead and put it on the cake and just tell the staff to cut off all of icing that is covered in the product."  They simply don't realize that the stuff is highlighter dust containing real metal and per the FDA IS NEVER TO BE PUT ON FOOD.  Telling a client to remove it is not OK and it doesn't absolve the initial user of the product from liability.

This stuff is not edible and should never be put on food. Period.[postimage id="9257" thumb="900"]

maybenot Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 12:18am
post #7 of 10

Can't edit posts anymore, I guess. 

The link above is to the product that should never be put on food.  IT IS NOT EDIBLE.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 12:38am
post #8 of 10

I have a couple that I really love, but neither are certified as edible, so I only use them for trim which will be removed (I know it will be removed because I am serving the cake myself) or for my chocolate sculptures, which are never eaten.  One is Ideale Powder Color Gold Dust, which clearly states "inedible", that I ordered from Design Me A Cake and CK Imperial Gold, which states "for decorative purposes only", that I bought from Sweet Wise.  Unless you are looking for a deep yellow gold, stear clear of Antique Gold.  If I want to use gold where it will be eaten, like a completely gold cake, I use Wilton spray gold.  It is not as brilliant as the other two, but is a pretty, soft metallic gold and it is edible.  My Superman cake, in my gallery, if painted with it. 

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 4:47am
post #9 of 10

I use this one from Global Sugar Art. There are different shades available. I mix with vodka and paint it on and I love it. It's shiny and gold just like I want and it's edible, which is very important as well.

https://www.globalsugarart.com/edible-hybrid-luster-dust-soft-gold-2-5-grams-by-roxy-rich.html

maybenot Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 12:33am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @WYBee on 19 hours ago

I use this one from Global Sugar Art. There are different shades available. I mix with vodka and paint it on and I love it. It's shiny and gold just like I want and it's edible, which is very important as well.

https://www.globalsugarart.com/edible-hybrid-luster-dust-soft-gold-2-5-grams-by-roxy-rich.html

Yep, same as the roxy and rich product I mentioned above...........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%