What Would You Charge For This Harry Potter Cake

Business By Melissakaykimball Updated 4 Jul 2018 , 7:45pm by GI

Melissakaykimball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissakaykimball Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 6

I am just starting to sell my cakes and trying to gain more confidence in what to charge. This is cake I did last year for my daughter and have had severa people ask what I would charge to do a cake like this again. It’s a 9” 3 layer cake with a carved book cake and modeling chocolate sorting hat topper.  It would serve 18-30. I’ve done research in my area and determined my costs, but so much of this is subjective and based on quality and skill-level which is why I am interested in professional opinions of those who have been selling cakes. After pricing out each of the elements based on time and materials, I’m thinking about $400 which would be about $13 a serving. What do you think?  Does that seem reasonable for this cake?

[postimage id="9235" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="9236" thumb="900"]

5 replies
Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 6

photo didn't come thru. $13 a serving? Where are you from?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 12:42am
post #3 of 6

Well, the picture didn't show up, but from what you have described, the carved book and the sorting hat, $400 sounds reasonable to me.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

depends -- most home cakers can't exactly charge for time because they are not up to speed -- so just depending on how large/intricate your book and hat are -- $13 a serving for a 9" cake is top level price for the heart of new york or something -- 30 servings is average for a 9" cake -- the book cake  must be small not adding but a couple servings -- depends on what it all looks like -- in my market $13 for a 9" cake is way high unless it is a sculpture -- if it only has two baubles on top -- the hat and book could be an upcharge -- but a regular 9" is like on the top side $5 per -- $7 per if it was loaded with lovely gourmet substances -- 

depends

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 6

I mean maybe it should be $500 because the book and hat are so fantastic -- but i'd need a picture to determine that -- but it seems overpriced for two thingies on top of a regular old 9" cake -- help me out here --

maybe the 9" is the bottom of the hat and it's all rising up out of the book and it's a grand sculpture -- yeah $400 might be giving it away -- just don't know 

best to you

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 6

I looked at the photo in your profile.  Definitely $500. $15/serving plus delivery fee. This is a quality cake and you are very talented!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%