Beautiful 3 Tier Cake Fell Being Trasported By Customer. Need Advice On What To Do!!!

Baking By Starcakes999 Updated 5 Jul 2018 , 12:41pm by mahtc2016

Starcakes999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starcakes999 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 7

I made an amazing three tier cake 6,8, and 10 in (each 5 in high) cake but could not deliver because I had to go out of town. The customer was told to bring someone to help with the cake because it was so large. When she arrives to pick up the cake she has a 10 year old wit her to help and said there was no room in the trunk of her SUV to transport. She ended up trying to get the 10 year old to hold it initially but realized the cake was too big because it was shifting and the pearls began to come off. She called me and  I told her to come back but she said she was already in route and wasn't coming back. I suggested purchasing piping gel to re-attach the pearls once she arrived. Then she called after she got home and said the cake had fallen over. She sent pictures and it looked like she may have stopped suddenly or hit a bump which caused the shift. I asked if they still ate it but no response yet. They had to get a store bought cake for the event as I was out of town and could not attempt repair. I offered to help with cost if she found someone to make a new tier, but she could not. Then I offered and refunded 50% of cake cost. Should I have given a full refund or have I done enough? She never asked for anything to be refunded but I felt so bad I did it anyway. Advice please

6 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 7

It sounds like she hit a bump and the 10-year-old couldn't stop it from falling.  Seriously, none of this is your fault.  Yes, you feel bad for her, but she was told to bring help and what was she thinking bringing a child to help with a 3-tier cake!? I'm wondering why she even bothered to call and tell you the cake fell over like it was your fault.  In my opinion, she's not entitled to any kind of refund (don't reward stupid) and not even an apology.  

Once a cake is picked up, your responsibility ends. Period. You can't guarantee a cake once it leaves your hands.  Yes, feel bad but move on - you did nothing wrong.  Maybe she'll learn something and do better with the next cake.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 12:53am
post #3 of 7

You were very generous giving her a 50% refund.  Really,  none of this was your fault and no refund was due.  Great PR, though, and you followed your heart.  Good for you.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 1:38am
post #4 of 7

She was owed nothing.  She knew the circumstances, accepted the risk, and ruined the cake.  As said, you were very kind in what you did.  You don't own any guilt here.

For the future, if the client agrees to pick up the cake, they should sign off on a statement that relieves you of ANY liability for damage after they close the car door.  They should understand that you cannot--and will not--make repairs, accept returns, offer refunds, etc.  If they won't agree to do this at the time of the order, then you just don't take the order.  You're a business and deserve to be treated as such.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 2:15am
post #5 of 7

i have a different take on it -- these are just questions you can answer for yourself -- i'm just trying to help see if there were any holes in your armor -- was the cake sealed into a box that would support and ensure a safe delivery? so you had a 15" tall cake on a 10" cake on the bottom -- that's pretty spindly -- how big was the bottom board --  it should have had some seriously good packaging -- sometimes i leave a dowel sticking up out of the top tier so the cake has a handle for delivery -- remove after set up and stick a flower over the hole or whatever -- but i didn't see your cake -- i don't know -- but it needed some fore thought from an expert to get delivered in one piece -- 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 7:23am
post #6 of 7

I wouldn't have refunded anything at all. You gave her instructions on how to travel with it properly and she obviously didn't follow them. I've had people pick up super tall double barrel cakes and even multiple tiered cakes with no issue. All falls on if they take your advice on how to make it to their destination with the cake safely intact. But then again I've had some toss my advice out the window directly in front of me, and I simply can't believe it sometimes. For example: placing a cake in someone's lap instead of a flat surface, in their TRUNK, or just laying it in the floor of their car with a child sitting in the sit above. At that point I just hope they make it safely. Thankfully none of mine have had a delivery accident yet, but I'm sure it is bound to happen someday due to not following directions.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 7

You were very sweet to give a refund I wouldn't have . Once the cake was picked up she was responsible for it and how it was handled. Years ago a bridesmaid picked up a 3 tier wedding cake. She put it in the back of her hatchback car , forgot her shoes and had to go up a steep hill to her house then back down and go 25 miles over hills and curves  to wedding. Needless to say the cake had problems. My SIL called me from reception yelling at me and wanted me to give a full refund as I had made a lousy cake, her words. I refused as I had taken photos of all cakes going out that morning and her cake was fine. I take photos of all cakes before they leave  and if I set up at a venue also there. Rule # 1  protect yourself in any business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%