Unicorn Cake

Decorating By jpjones-1 Updated 10 Jul 2018 , 7:41pm by whatthedogate

jpjones-1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpjones-1 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 11

I am just looking for guidance and direction.  I made a unicorn cake with butter cream and when I tried to deliver it the mane, which was made out of buttercream fell off the side of the cake twice.  I thought maybe the icing was to heavy so I iced the side and replaced it with a more whipped icing and it still fell off.  I was thinking maybe the heat, I don't know.  Can someone help me figure this out and give me some direction of which way to go?

Thanks

Josette ([email protected]

10 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 11

This has been a recurring theme here lately.  I think the last big tip was to really push the piping into the cake to get it to stick.  What kind of icing are you using?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 11

You have to really make sure that the piped icing is connected with the frosting covering the cake.  You do that by 1) making sure that the frosting covering the cake has not hardened/crusted over and 2) pushing your tip into the frosted cake so that the piped design has a good connection to the frosted cake and isn't just lightly touching the cake.  I would also make sure that you aren't piping on too many layers or swirls/rosettes because the weight could cause the icing to fall/break away from the cake.

jpjones-1 Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 11

I am using buttercream.  I tried to make it as light or whipped so that it would not be heavy for the side of the cake.

jpjones-1 Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 11

I will try to make sure the swirls/rosettes really connect the with the iced cake.  I may have made too many swirls and the weight caused it to break. I will also lighten up on the amount of rosettes.  Thank you both for your quick response and guidance.

Josette

Kelbel2440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbel2440 Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 11

I have no advice, just support as that happened to me a couple weekends ago too.  I had waited a day to add my mane to a frosted cake that had already crusted.  And I had a ton of flowers on there so probably waaaay too heavy.  It was so heart breaking after putting so much work into it!!! Trying again this weekend so I appreciate everyone’s advice too!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 11

an idea is to angle the flowers too -- like pipe a fat blob of icing around the base of the cake -- start there piping flowers and stack them up more on top of each other as you wind up the sides -- helps a bit

Kelbel2440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbel2440 Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 11

Great idea with the angle Kate.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 11

thank you, kelbel

jpjones-1 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all for your comments and replies.  I was able to complete the cake again and delivered without any problem.

Josette

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 11

Yay!  So glad to hear that.  We would love to see a picture.  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%