Fondant Flowers On Cupcakes

Decorating By inthekitchen2 Updated 2 Jul 2018 , 3:42pm by stephdover4

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 1 Jul 2018 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding order that involves fondant roses and daisies on each of the cupcakes that are covered in buttercream. I know these should be placed on as late as possible, however she is picking them up and traveling to her wedding out of town. I'm not sure yet, but I think it'll be the night before. How can I ensure that they will remain pretty and not soak up all the buttercream and become really soft by the time of her reception the next night? 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2018 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 7

idk -- what will the humidity be on that day in both places? see what i mean

Tillsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tillsy Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 4:33am
post #3 of 7

Maybe adding some gum paste to the fondant will help. I’m only a hobby baker so others on here may have a better solution 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 7:43am
post #4 of 7

i mean you could brush the bottoms of the flowers with melted choco to protect them from the buttercream but l would just pipe them out of buttercream -- but that's a tall order on cupcakes in the summer over two days y'know? because if you close up the box to protect from humidity (what if it rains) the flowers will absorb moisture from the cupcakes of course -- and if you don't close it up good the flowers absorb the humidity or the cupcakes absorb drier air if it is drier -- this is a toughy -- 

you've got two substances standing at odds with each other and both against the weather -- you want the flowers dry and the cupcakes moist over a two days -- idk

hope it works out

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 11:59am
post #5 of 7

There is a product called princess paste - it is fantastic, thins out like you wouldn't believe, sets up firm but can still be manipulated (gently) days after you make something with them, sits on buttercream without melting, tastes great, takes colour really well, can you tell I love it? Haha.

It is like a mix between fondant and modelling chocolate.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 7

Have you thought of using a mix of pastillage and fondant?  I've had success using this mix for flowers and it has held up in the South Carolina humidity.  Make them at least a week before and for extra safety, cover the bottoms with modeling chocolate since they have to travel.  I'm a hobby baker too, certainly no pro, but this is what I use in the summer.  

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 7

Pastillage for sure. it holds up seemingly no matter what. I don't mix it with fondant though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%