Is This Price Unreasonable??

Business By Troisfilles Updated 24 Jun 2018 , 10:41pm by Gingerlocks

Troisfilles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Troisfilles Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! This is my first post here so I hope I’m not breaking any rules :)

I’m new to the business of cake making/decorating. I’ve been doing it for friends and family for a long time but recently started as a business. I have an order for a 6 inch, 2 layer round decorated with a fondant car topper and not just any car but a specific make and model and also a royal icing transfer of the cars ‘logo’. I’m charging $75. My customer was quite surprised by the price and I thought it was actually a great steal! What are your thoughts?

3 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 4

You don't say where you are located... That makes a difference in pricing...  

I think that the logo is probably covered by copyright/trademark...

For basic buttercream covered cake 6" about $35

For basic fondant covered cake 6" about $45

For the sculpted car... not sure... I am not great at sculpting, so I don't do it... but $30 to $40 doesn't sound unreasonable depending on how detailed...

Always remember that most customers have no clue what goes into making a cake and no clue how much it really should cost...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 4

Considering that you are making a car topper, not the easiest thing in the world, your price sounds prefectly reasonable.  Seems to me people are always shocked when quoted a price for a custom cake.  Evidently they do not bake or they would realize that the ingredients alone are quite an investment.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 4

I would have charged a lot more than $75 for what they are asking..so no you're not unreasonable. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%