Chocolate Italian Meringue Buttercream -- Fail

Baking By WYBee Updated 28 Jun 2018 , 4:51pm by WYBee

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 4:29am
post #1 of 5

I'm a big fan of Italian Meringue Buttercream. I use it for most cakes and in many flavors. For some reason it gets really soft at the best of times when I try to make a chocolate version and it is not at all heat stable. To make matters worse, the last time I made it I ended up with a very delicious chocolate soup. Nothing I did saved it, and I tried every trick I know for when I break my IMBC (which happens too often as it is). One thing I do with my IMBC is that I use less butter than a lot of recipes call for because I just prefer it that way.

My recipe:
2 cups granulated sugar (divided)

2/3 cup water

8 egg whites

dash citric acid

(for chocolate version I add 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate melted and cooled)

I mix it in the usual way for IMBC.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going wrong and how I can fix it? Would a SMBC work better with the chocolate?

4 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 26 Jun 2018 , 6:08am
post #2 of 5

Hi there! How much butter are you using in your IMBC? I use SMBC all the time and find it easy to add melted/cooled chocolate too - takes it like a dream.

My quantities are around 450g egg whites, 700g sugar, 1kg of butter

WYBee Posted 26 Jun 2018 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 5

I use one pound of butter. I weigh most of my ingredients for the cake. Not sure why I don't for the buttercream. I might try using the chocolate in the SMBC. Most times I prefer the mouth feel of IMBC, but in this case it's just not working.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 11:04am
post #4 of 5

If you mix SMBC with Ganache it is delicious :-) 

WYBee Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 5

That is good to know! I will try that for my chocolate icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%