Unicorn Cake Structure Support

Baking By SammyL Updated 24 Jun 2018 , 11:13pm by -K8memphis

SammyL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammyL Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 1:26am
post #1 of 3

Hi

I’m planning a unicorn cake for my granddaughters 5th birthday party.

From my research, these cakes look nicer if they are taller than they are wide. We need 26 serves, so I’m planning a cake that’s 7 inches wide and 8 inches high. Which (according to what I know about cakes) would need to be a double barrel cake with a 6 inch cake board in the middle, and bubble tea straws underneath for support. I have done this before with no problems.

BUT this cake needs to be transported (across Sydney, say a 40 minute drive) and it needs a horn. I’m assuming it will need a centre dowel? And the (heavy looking) fondant horn would need dowel going down more than 4 inches into the cake? So I’m wondering how to get these dowels through the middle cake board.

I have seen mention of sharpening dowels and poking them through, but I think our boards are much thicker in Australia, so I’m sure that wouldn’t work. We have foil covered rigid cardboard ones (which usually go under tiers/cakes) and thicker foiled Masonite ones used as a decorative base.

I’m unsure how to approach this. None of the unicorn cake tutorials I have seen use double barrel cake support, even though they look tall. I’m wondering how they go transporting them with the tall fondant horn in place.

2 replies
kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 3

can the horn just be placed after transport?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 3

you can glue a slice of foam on top of the bottom board -- as if it was an extra one inch layer of cake -- and put the cake -- which is on it's own board -- on that -- drill a hole in the middle of the board that separates the tiers -- and sink the dowel all the way down in there into the foam --

and you can either make the foam larger than the cake and decorate it prettily like an extra cake board -- or make it the same size as the cake 7" and ice it like the cake is iced to camouflage it --

and don't cut it off until after delivery -- it works great as a handle to keep it level during delivery -- let it stick up through the box top -- if you are really clever you can attach the horn to that --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%