Storing Tiered Cakes...please Help

Baking By whatthedogate Updated 24 Jun 2018 , 12:55pm by -K8memphis

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 6:11am
post #1 of 22

Hi.  I have my first big order due on Saturday.  A three tier 10-8-6 and two two tiers...each 8-6.  I have all my cakes baked and got a jump start on filling and frosting the three tier.  I have the 10, 8, and 6-inch round filled and frosted and in boxes in my fridge.  But here's the problem...now I'm out of fridge "floor space".  Can I go ahead and stack the three-tier and leave it in its box in the fridge until Friday night/Saturday morning?  My fear is that if I put in boba straws now and stack the three tiers, that it will cave in under all that weight and for so long.  I'm going to have to start stacking the tiers at some point because I just do not have that much room in my fridge.  Augh!!!  What was I thinking!  Thanks in advance for your help. 

21 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 22

if you used a crusting American buttercream, and depending on the filling, you can just leave the tiers on the counter.  The BC will keep the cake from drying out.  If they need to be kept in the fridge, I wouldn't stack until I had to due to moisture on the cake boards.  I'd be afraid they would become flimsy and collapse.  Wait and stack a few hours before the cake is due.  Sorry I couldn't help more, but rather to be safe than sorry!

whatthedogate Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 22

Thank you @cutiger.  I have them filled with smbc and strawberries and crumb coated and final coated in American bc.  I don't really want to leave them out though because it gets very warm in here...around 80-85 degrees. 

So I guess my next question would be how long can I leave cakes out at room temperature.  I mean the baked layers all wrapped in plastic wrap?  They are just sitting there waiting to leveled, filled, and frosted.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 22

keep the strawberries cold -- if you have removed all the garlic, cut onions and leftover fish fry from your fridge -- you can de-box them and keep them in there -- you can stack them too if you want -- if you have secure boards -- i used all kinds -- my favorite is foam core because it is so secure -- also the waxed cardboard circles but those got hard to find for some reason --you can reinforce cardboard circles by inserting bamboo skewers into the grooves -- groovy :)

just for the record -- insert and measure one straw -- cut all the straws that same length -- don't put them all in and snip them off -- put them under the weight of the tier above -- not on the outermost perimeter of the cake above -- like for an 8"cake -- the dowel/straws should be placed in five inch circle give or take -- so they can hold the load --

gallery_19538_3873_7942.jpgjust push the skewers all the way in or clip off the excess if they aretoo long

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 22

five to six inch circle

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 22
whatthedogate Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 22

@k8memphis thank you so much! Your tutorial is amazing. More gripping than a season finale! Have you considered doing stand up comedy for bakers? Your tutorial had me laughing out loud and saying "yes! Yup! So true!". Here's a picture of my fridge... nothing as packed as yours, but....Storing Tiered Cakes...please Help

whatthedogate Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 22

@k8memphis thank you so much! Your tutorial is amazing. More gripping than a season finale! Have you considered doing stand up comedy for bakers? Your tutorial had me laughing out loud and saying "yes! Yup! So true!". Here's a picture of my fridge... nothing as packed as yours, but....Storing Tiered Cakes...please Help

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 22

you're so sweet -- thank you

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 22

man, your fridge is packed tight huh -- what bottles can you ditch or fit somewhere else -- pickles don't have to be fridged -- could you fit cakes in the drawers?

whatthedogate Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 22

I think I can get one more 6 inch in that plastic tub and one 6inch between the two white boxes. The two 8 inch round might fit on the top shelf where the mixer bowl is. I have meat in the drawer on the right. Could probably empty the fruits and vegetables drawer on the left and put a cake there. Storing Tiered Cakes...please Help

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 22

yeah pack it in there 

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 22

I stack all my cakes at home and let them sit in the fridge. I have never had any issues with the cake boards, but I glue two cake boards together so they are twice as strong. I started doing this years ago on the larger tiers to help support the weight of the cake. Now I do it on all the cakes, no matter the size.

cutiger Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 2:49am
post #14 of 22

Wow!  I never thought about putting skewers in to support the board.  I learn something new every time I read anything you post.  You are amazing!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 12:03pm
post #15 of 22

thank you, cutiger --

if you use cardboard circles -- sometimes depending on the project -- i would insert the skewers and then put two boards crossways so the skewers were like this + inside -- very sturdy and efficient space wise too --

blush

cutiger Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 22

I'm still shaking my head! That is a tip I have never seen before and one I definitely didn't think of myself.  All I can say is I love reading your posts!  Thank you for all the valuable information you share with us!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 22

thank you so much -- i spent a lot of time in cake construction :)

whatthedogate Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 22

Last picture of fridge. Some creative de-shelving lol!  and a couple of the finished cakes. Still need to stack the third tier...but at the venue!  Thank you k8memphis and everyone for your great ideas.Storing Tiered Cakes...please Help

Storing Tiered Cakes...please HelpStoring Tiered Cakes...please Help

whatthedogate Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 4:38pm
post #19 of 22

Last picture of fridge. Some creative de-shelving lol!  and a couple of the finished cakes. Still need to stack the third tier...but at the venue!  Thank you k8memphis and everyone for your great ideas.Storing Tiered Cakes...please Help

Storing Tiered Cakes...please HelpStoring Tiered Cakes...please Help

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 22

love the fridge shot -- very creative! half in half out the veggie drawer -- hahaha -- a caker after me own heart -- i've been watching a lot of british telly -- ha!

the cakes are lovely -- abc to look like the finest fondant job -- wow -- i always hated real ribbon because it it is so unforgiving -- all your proportions are perfect - nicely done 

clap

feels great huh? nothing like a sweet cake high on a sunny saturday morning

whatthedogate Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 5:51am
post #21 of 22

Thank you thank you, but must inform you that us actually fondant. I did nit feel that is was presentable for the elegant look of the cake so I got the customers permission to use fondant over the ABC.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 12:55pm
post #22 of 22

fair enough -- yeah i was going by the third post -- still it's a perfect fondant job too -- very well done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%