Don't Know Where To Go From Here...

Business By fayespastries Updated 20 Jun 2018 , 8:06pm by Jenn123

fayespastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fayespastries Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 3

Hey all!

I need some advice. I'm a professional pastry cook. I'm ServSafe certified and went to school, along with having professional experience in hotels and restaurants. I want to create something of my own though. I created a company called, Faye's Pastries. I plan to sell cookies, bars, cupcakes, puffs, pies, etc. I'm not much of a cake decorator, but eventually, I'd like to include on my menu 6 and 8" custom cakes. Only 6 and 8" buttercream deco cakes. 

So, I've figured out my pricing, have my site being built and have my menu figured out. I've been to a local farmer's market twice. The first time, I sold about ten to twelve packs of cookies. I made much more than what I sold. The second time I made way less. Essentially, I only made six cupcakes and the rest were leftovers from the first week that I had frozen, with some freshly baked flavors of cookies. The problem with that week is I sold like three items. They placed me directly next to a cookie business that works with special needs bakers. How can I beat that? All people that looked at my table, went directly next door for the sale.

I'm frustrated. Two failed farmer's market outings. Would like to build my brand online and eventually go back. What do you suggest should be my strategy going forward?

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 3

you need a hook to draw people in -- i would love for you to find another location without competition -- in a perfect world, right? but otherwise i would zero in on my very best two products -- the outstanding ones -- and have a buddy to lurk in the parking lot or somewhere and give samples --

i hope you get it all going well -- best to you

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 3

Do you have a"legal" kitchen to work in? If you did, maybe you should be going to restaurants trying to get orders to supply their desserts. Or gift stores, specialty produce, small boutiques, Christmas markets, antique malls, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%