Cake Baking/decorating Timeline

Baking By jnfisher14 Updated 18 Jun 2018 , 6:09pm by cai0311

jnfisher14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnfisher14 Posted 18 Jun 2018 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 4

Hello :)

I'm such a procrastinator but have too much going on this week to be behind! I need some help with time management for baking.  I've been making cakes for my niece and nephews birthday and this year they are having a combined birthday.  My sister in law wants them all to have their own cake to blow candles out on so I've got some work cut out for me.  Thankfully, they are just small smash size cakes she wants (one actually being a smash cake for a 1 year old) so they aren't big cakes.  The party is Saturday morning at 11am and I have a concert Friday night so I probably won't have too much time to ice/decorate Friday/Saturday.  When would you suggest baking, icing, and decorating the cakes? I want to make sure they are fresh so I'm afraid to make them too early??  I usually make it all in one day and leave the house a mess and end up late to the party, ha.  I'm no professional but I love baking and would like to make it a little more enjoyable and less rushed!

Also, If you have any easy tips for smoothing buttercream, I'm all ears! :)

Thanks!!
Jess

3 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 18 Jun 2018 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 4

I would go ahead and get all your baking out of the way now.  I prefer to freeze my cakes even if I need them in a couple of days because I find that it makes the cakes nice and moist.  You could even make your buttercream (and color as necessary) now and it should keep just fine in the fridge until you need it.  Since you are busy you can certainly put together the cakes on Thursday.  You can take the cakes out of the freezer Wednesday evening to thaw and then you can start decorating Thursday.  The more you can get done in advance the better.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Jun 2018 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 4

You can bake your cakes right now, fill and crumb coat, wrap well in at least two thicknesses of cling wrap and one of foil and freeze.  You can remove them from the freezer first thing Thursday morning and spend the whole day and part of Friday doing your decorations.  They will be fine to store in the fridge until the party.  If your fillings/frosting do not require refrigeration, you could even leave them on the counter, but I prefer to keep all my cakes in the refrigerator.  Having a well chilled cake makes transporting more secure, too.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2018 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 4

I would:

Tuesday: Bake cakes and make fillings

Wednesday: fill cakes

Thursday: ice and decorate

Friday: enjoy the concert

Saturday: enjoy the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%