Crusting Cream Cheese Icing With Fondant Decorations With Edible Gold Dust Or Edible Metallic Paint

Decorating By mhklobe1 Updated 14 Jun 2018 , 1:21pm by Rachel_n_VA

mhklobe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhklobe1 Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone done a cake with crusting cream cheese icing with fondant decorations that have been dusted with edible gold dust or painted with edible gold metallic paint?  Also, what about applying an edible image to crusting cream cheese icing?

My stepson is going into the Marines and we are planning a send off party in a few weeks.  He wants a decorated red velvet cake with cream cheese icing.  I have a recipe for crusting cream cheese icing that I have used before and it really worked well.  I have read so many good and bad things on this forum about fondant not working well with cream cheese icing that is refrigerated.  I have never left the crusting cream cheese icing out at room temperature.  I want to make the fondant rope borders and either apply the edible gold dust or edible metallic paint to them, like in the attached photo of a cake I made with chocolate buttercream.  Has anyone ever tried this and if so did you have good results?

Also, has anyone ever tried the edible image with crusting cream cheese icing?

Thanks so much!!

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing With Fondant Decorations With Edible Gold Dust Or Edible Metallic Paint

2 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 3

I haven't done a crusting cream cheese frosting but you could always fill with cream cheese frosting and ice the outside with a crusting American buttercream.i don't think the ropes will be a problem with any outter frosting since they are a boarder

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 3

Try K8memphis's white balsamic buttercream.  It's shelf stable and tastes exactly like cream cheese.  DELISH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%