Chocolate Coke Bottle Cake

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 28 Jun 2018 , 4:56am by bvwilliams

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 10 Jun 2018 , 4:16am
post #1 of 21

Hello all.  For those of you who are familiar with the chocolate Coke bottle that has cake inside, I have a question.  How far in advance can you make the chocolate bottle and keep it before filling it with cake?  I want to make this for someone's birthday but I know I will be pushed for time and won't be able to spend a lot of time on it.  So I thought if I could make the bottle about a week or two in advance, that would really help. But I don't want the bottle to lose it's sheen or dry out and crack.  Would it keep that long if keep it in the same plastic bottle that was used as the mold or should I cut it out of the mold (like in the tutorial) and keep it in an air tight container in a cool (not cold) place?

Thanks.

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2018 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 21

idk -- it probably would be ok -- but idk -- making the bottle is not that hard really -- what if you practice  a few times a few weeks out and then do it that week? doesn't take that long -- chocolate and this weather is iffy -- but it probably would be ok but idk -- chocolate like this is usually pretty last minute -- i'm a big help huh :)

I really wanna see the picture though!!

bvwilliams Posted 11 Jun 2018 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 21

Yes, I think I'll practice first just to see how it comes out.  Then I can also see how long it will last. The worst that can happen is that I'll have to drink a lot of Coke. ;-) 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 11 Jun 2018 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 21

I don't think making a week or two in advance would be a problem.  I would just keep it in an air tight container and in a cool, dark place (not the refrigerator).  They make chocolate easter bunnies probably very far in advance and I remember when I was younger, those big ones would last and last even when they had been cracked into.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jun 2018 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 21

but how shiney are they? i guess some of them were pretty shiney --- you need it shiney for the coke to look like it's a 2-liter bottle -- please keep me/us posted how you do -- i love that coke bottle thing -- i should make one too...

bvwilliams Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 21

Hey everyone!  I tried a practice bottle a couple days ago.  It was an epic fail.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 21

no! what happened???

bvwilliams Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 21

For some reason, my entire post didn't go through so here it is again.

My first test bottle was a failure because the chocolate crumbled into a bazillion pieces when I tried to pull the plastic away from it.  This step is a lot harder to do than the tutorial makes it look.  I'm not sure if it didn't work because of the type of chocolate I used (dark chocolate chips) or if I didn't coat with enough layers of chocolate.  I coated it with one thick layer vs 2 or 3 thin layers where you coat then let dry, then repeat.

I'm going to try it again using Wilton candy melts instead of chocolate chips.  May this will give me a sturdier chocolate.  I'll also do 2 layers of chocolate and use a smaller 16 oz bottle instead of another liter size bottle.  If this one turns out okay, I'll post a pic.  If not, then I'll have to move on to plan "B".

bvwilliams Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 21

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to make.  If anyone has made one of these before and can offer some tips, I'm all ears.Chocolate Coke Bottle Cake

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 21

i haven't made one and i haven't watched the video in eons but i thought it had several layers of choco -- but choco has to be tempered -- and if the choco chips crumbled then it was out of temper -- candy melts is good idea -- practicing on a smaller bottle is a good idea or cut the 2 liter down to a smaller size -- just for practice

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 21
bvwilliams Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 21

So do I need a special thermometer to know when the chocolate is tempered?  Will a meat thermometer do?  All I did was melt my chocolate until it was pourable, then I poured it into the bottle. I didn't measure the temperature.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 21

if you get the candy melts -- it will either be in temper or made with vegetable oil so there would be no tempering needed -- chocolate chips need to be tempered and you could use a chocolate thermometer for that -- find a you tube on how to temper chocolate -- a meat thermometer would not really work --

but you have enough learning curve on your hands with the coke bottle cake itself -- so i'd recommend the candy melts -- melt them slowly and gently over a pot of simmering water -- don't let any water vapor get into the chocolate -- or you can microwave them -- in short bursts -- you could check you tube for this too

bvwilliams Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 3:15am
post #14 of 21

Thanks, K8memphis.  And thanks for the video attachment too.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 11:56am
post #15 of 21

i really want this to work for you -- the video i saw -- inserted circles of cake that fit down into the bottle -- the bottle was cut in half -- not just an opening

bvwilliams Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 3:44am
post #16 of 21

Okay!  Here is the finished product. I'm going to deliver it tomorrow and as luck would have it, it's very hot and humid tonight and the same is forecasted for tomorrow.  I'm not as worried about the cake as I am the chocolate bottle.  Needless to say, my car will feel like a deep freezer tomorrow. Chocolate Coke Bottle CakeChocolate Coke Bottle CakeChocolate Coke Bottle Cake  

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 3:55am
post #17 of 21

That looks awesome!!! Great job, and best wishes with delivery!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 4:03am
post #18 of 21

@bvwilliams wow what an amazing job. Best of luck on the delivery. The hamburger and fries are so realistic. Congratulations 

bvwilliams Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 4:30am
post #19 of 21

Thank you!  And sorry for the gigantic photos.  I don't know how to make them smaller. LOL!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 12:09pm
post #20 of 21

whooo hooo hooooo WOW -- you totally rocked it! muscle wonderful work! you've inspired me now -- I gotta make me one -- but you did a fabulous job!! you've got to be so proud of yourself! I am

my husband looooked at it and of course he's not getting it at first and he finally goes "that's insane!"

we love it  clap you did amazing

bvwilliams Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 4:56am
post #21 of 21

Thank you, K8memphis, for your suggestions and the video tutorial. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%