Mermaid Isomalt

Decorating By KatyN Updated 5 Aug 2019 , 2:33pm by -K8memphis

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 15

I’m doing an Ariel themed cake next week - so excited!

I’d love to use isomalt to make some coral, but it’s recommended not to use less than three pounds because it will lead to yellow tinged sugar.

Any thoughts?  I’ve not had a problem in the past, but that was colored so any yellow coloring didn’t show.

What would you use if not isomalt?  I CAN pipe white chocolate and let it dry but I LOVE the look of isomalt.

Thanks!

14 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 15

Could you add a tiny drop of blue gel color to neutralize the yello ting?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 15

I don't know what this "yellow tinged sugar if less than 3 pounds" is about when making isomalt..............

Isomalt is a very pure product in and of itself.  If it isn't clear when it's cooked, it's often because of the water used in the process and/or the overheating of the isomalt.  Nearly all waters contain some level of impurities and minerals.  It has nothing to do with weight of the isomalt.  Any amount of cooked isomalt can be overheated just enough to take it from clear to some shade of yellow.

The best way to avoid the issue is to use a pre-cooked isomalt product, like Cakeplay nibs, that don't require any water added.  Melt it in the microwave and that's it.  https://www.cakeplay.com/collections/isomalt-nibs/products/clear-isomalt

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 12:22am
post #4 of 15

don't forget that ingesting isomalt can lead to horrid uncomfortable tummy/bathroom problems -- not fun

KatyN Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 5:06am
post #5 of 15

I didn’t know about the digestive issues!  Thanks.

This is where I read it

http://www.sugarartsinstitute.com/blog/post/isomalt---the-secrets-of-success

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 15

yeah back when I was first switching off of sugar for health reasons many moons ago -- I got a harmless looking little tiny expensive bag of orange slices -- y'know the candy ones -- well I had no problem downing the whole little tiny bag -- holy moley holy moley omg omg omg -- it's the WORST --

and no I mean happily I ate more than one serving -- you know how they say there's fifteen servings out of three pieces of candy -- ok slightly exaggerating on that -- but I had no idea what I was getting myself into and I never made that mistake again --

and kids would have a lower threshold for it too -- just saying --

did you ever watch the cupcake war show -- might not be the right name but that one French judge was a fiend for peeps putting isomalt décor on their cupcakes -- he would not touch them -- 

best to you --

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 15

While technically edible, properly cooked isomalt is hard and sharp when broken.  Some people do try to eat it, but the real benefit of the decorations is that they are food safe and hold up well, especially in humid environments [unlike cooked sugar]. 

Yes, consuming too much of it--and too much is a relative term for each individual--causes it to act as a laxative.

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 15

Kate, you are talking about Floren...or something like that, the one who always poked the cupcakes in the bottom before trying them???

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 15

yeah floren something -- that's him -- thick accent -- Florian Bellanger, executiveFrenchpastry chef[

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 15

and honestly he seemed a little full of himself but he really was a celebrated pastry chef -- although i'd never heard of fauchon, the bakery where he was head chef but I've never been to france either --

I met a certified master chef once -- only 67 of them in the us -- and he was as down to earth as anyone -- I got to do his wedding cake -- which was pretty cool

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 1:35am
post #11 of 15

Oh my goodness, Kate!  It was an honor to do a wedding cake for a Master Chef!  That says a lot about your cakes!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 12:03pm
post #12 of 15

thank you --

KatyN Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 5:09am
post #13 of 15

Wow, that's great.  What an opportunity.

I'm going through my CC acct, cleaning up old notifications and found this.  I actually didn't get to do the cake because 4 days after I posted, I was in a pretty bad car accident.  Still not 100%.

Weird to remember all that..

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 2:32pm
post #14 of 15

omg — hope you’re back to 110% better Soon! baby sugar (((big hug)))

and for the record — isomalt stays clearer than cooked sugar in my experience 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 15

and not just a laxative — a painful gastric disaster

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%