3 Tier Wedding Cake In Fiji

Decorating By BakedinFiji Updated 6 Jun 2018 , 3:26pm by SandraSmiley

BakedinFiji Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedinFiji Posted 6 Jun 2018 , 4:39am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

So its the 6th of June here and I have a 3 tier wedding cake due on the 15th of June. Tiers will be traveling separately and stacked on site. Set size is 6.5"/10"/14" SQUARE. Tier height is 4" high.  ugh i hate square cakes.

I'm doing a really nice moist chocolate cake , and It'll be decorated with fondant peach ombre ruffles (photo is the example). The customer wants it quite chocolatey. I just wanted to know what is the best filling I could use? Considering the weight of the ruffles and also the weather here right now in Fiji  usually sits at 29 deg Celsius (82F) Humidity is 79%. I always work in aircon (dont really have a choice) and roll my fondant quite thin :) so thats not a problem, but i wanna go all out with this one and fill it.  If i split each tier into half and fill it with a stiff butter cream then cover it in fondant, and THEN add the ruffles, will the layers shift?

The place its travelling to has seriously bumpy roads and another baker is transporting and stacking it (she's gifted it to the couple)

Please help!!

3 Tier Wedding Cake In Fiji

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jun 2018 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 4

Yener's Way has a wonderful tutorial for transporting cakes in hot weather.  He used a cardboard box a little larger than his cake board - in your case, you should set your tiers on a cake board several inches larger than the actual tier, for transporting - and used plastic bottles, like empty soda bottles, filled with ice to keep the cake cool.  He punched holes on either side of the box corners so he could use twist ties to secure the bottles to the box, to keep them from shifting.  He used four bottles per box, but you could get away with two bottles per box, if you trip was not a long one.

This being said, start out with a well chilled cake, just our of the refrigerator, and you filling should be fine.  I keep bottles of ice in my freezer all the time.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jun 2018 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 4

one of the problems with his is setting the cake down into the box -- unless he changed that -- I watched it a long time ago -- just turn the whole thing upside down to fix that -- and when I do the freezer packs inside -- I wrapped a paper towel around it and put it in a plastic bag so no sweat from the bottle gets on the cake -- 

like I said -- I haven't re-watched his video in a long time so if he covers that -- cool

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jun 2018 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

I just rewatched it and he wrapped the bottles in paper (he said newspaper was good, but he didn’t have any) to prevent the condensation from ruining the box, but I like your idea better.  Much safer!

He is using a box that is considerably larger than his cake board and he sets it (the box) down low, so it is easier to put the cake inside.  I always turn my boxes sideways, with the top on the front, then I just have to open the top and slide the cake out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%