Edible Marker On Wafer Paper

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 6 Jun 2018 , 4:43am by bvwilliams

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 5 Jun 2018 , 1:32am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know if you can use edible markers to draw a picture on wafer paper then adhere it to a cake?  I've never used wafer paper before so I'm not sure what it can and cannot do.  I want to do the potato chip bag that I saw on CC, but I don't have an edible printer to make the label.  So I thought I could use colored edible markers to draw it on wafer paper then I could stick it on the cake.  By the way, how would I stick the wafer paper onto the cake potato chip bag?

Thanks.

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jun 2018 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 6

I have limited experience with wafer paper on the cake because I hate the idea of eating it.  If you have a grocery store that sells cakes or a Walmart near you, they probably have edible printers and the ones in my community will happily print an image for you on a sugar sheet or wafer paper and charge the same as they would for any cake decoration.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Jun 2018 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 6

I have and the liquid from the marker does start to disintegrate the paper - even though it will dry - and it curls up a bit .  It's definitely an experiment to try.  Since the paper is so absorbent it's harder to get crisp lines, in my limited experience!

I most recently used it to draw Wheel of Fortune logos and other details on a slot machine cake I did this weekend for my brother.  The paper was then edible-glued onto fondant and it worked out nicely.  I was thinking I could also adhere it to gum paste and then stick that on the cake but for my purposes it wasn't necessary - I was concerned the added weight would make it more likely to fall off (I had to drive it 45miles).

Theresa  

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 5 Jun 2018 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 6

I draw on wafer paper with food coloring markers all the time. If you use a light touch with the markers and move quickly it shouldn't disintegrate the paper too much. I've also used a paintbrush with vodka mixed with powdered colors if the color I want isn't available in a marker. For that you really have to be careful not to have your brush too wet.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2018 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 6

I trim the tips of the markers I use to make them more like fine line markers -- they are called gourmet-- are they armericolor? I have the same results as wybee with the paper -- gotta have a real light touch --

just use a scissors and trim them from the tip down 

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 6 Jun 2018 , 4:43am
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  Sounds like I need to practice and experiment with technique.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%