Storing And Keeping Cake

Business By kirkland795 Updated 4 Jun 2018 , 7:20pm by SandraSmiley

kirkland795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirkland795 Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 2

So I've been baking for a while but I'm wanting to start selling my cakes locally. I've been doing tons of research. I have a few questions. If someone orders a cake lets say its a 2 layer 8in round with butter cream, can I make and frost it the night before and leave it in the fridge? Should it be covered some how? Will the cake start to dry out? Also do you deliver it super cold fresh from the fridge or do you let it come to room temp? Would letting it come closer to room temp compromise the butter cream? Any tips or advice for how long certain cakes(fondant covered, naked cake...) keep or how to keep them would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 2

If you have a refrigerator dedicated to cakes or your regular one doesn't have anything with strong odors, you can certainly store your decorated cakes in the refrigerator, including fondant ones.  I know one of the more experienced ladies can give you a more accurate idea, but I am pretty sure you can keep a cake refrigerated for at least three days until it starts to be considered old.

The best possible scenario is to go ahead and box your completed cake and wrap the box in cling wrap to seal it.  I always leave my cakes in the refrigerator until I am ready to deliver, but that is a personal preference, and I always have at least an hour delivery time.  There will be some condensation, unless it is really cold outside, but if you keep the cake sealed in its box, the condensate will form on the outside of the box instead of on the cake.  If possible, keep the cake sealed in the box until it reaches near room temperature.

If you don't have room to box it prior to refrigerating, it will not dry out in the refrigerator because the buttercream locks in the moisture. For naked cakes or near naked ones, I would wrap the individual tiers tightly in cling wrap (once the buttercream has crusted for near naked) before refrigerating and stack/assembly them just prior to delivery.  It also helps to spray the outer edges with simple syrup. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%