Hi-Ratio Panic!

Baking By HannahsMomi Updated 4 Jun 2018 , 3:21pm by SandraSmiley

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 2 Jun 2018 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

My Sweetex is no longer available!  All of you who use hi ratio for your buttercream during the summer months...now that that it has changed to 0 trans fats, what are you using?  I've heard the new Sweetex formulations are not at all the same and causing issues.  I'm kind of freaking out here.  It holds up so well in summer months and I'm not sure what to do now!  Any advice would be appreciated!

9 replies
HannahsMomi Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 10

Nothing?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 10

I use all butter icings

HannahsMomi Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the response K8memphis.  I use those too, but during the 90 degree plus heat in Indiana when I need a heat stable, solid buttercream for an outdoor wedding, I resort to hi ratio.  Makes me so nervous to use all butter icings in the summer heat...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 10

i'm not a fan of outdoor cake tables -- i tended to talk my brides out of outdoor displays -- you can add wondra flour or cornstarch to give icing more body -- 1/4 cup per batch or so 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 10

Remember the good old days when we used Crisco for making pure white buttercream?  It still works, maybe not quite as smooth as high ration, but it works, none the less, and has approximately the same melting temperature.

HannahsMomi Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 11:56am
post #7 of 10

Thank you, SandraSmiley!  That's what I needed to hear!  I used to use Crisco, but that was prior to the removal of the trans fats.  

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 10

Like you, I was inclined to panic, until I remembered that we did pretty amazing work with plain, old Crisco, lol.  I do prefer butter, if temperature is not a factor and absolute whiteness is not required.  Good luck, HannahsMomi!

HannahsMomi Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much!  I am just a creature of habit and change is hard for me!  Especially when I have something perfected!  I will just take some deep breaths and continue on...

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 10

LOL, aren't we all!  You got this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%