Sps Help!

Decorating By TheElegantEmerald Updated 31 May 2018 , 11:52am by lark6209

TheElegantEmerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheElegantEmerald Posted 30 May 2018 , 12:50am
post #1 of 7

So, I will be using SPS for a 3 tier cake...I am not a professional, and therefore don't have quite consistent heights (although the cakes are always level).  I'm planning on ordering the 9" pillars, but was wondering how you guys cut them?  Are they pretty hard to cut through?  Thanks!

6 replies
kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 30 May 2018 , 2:08am
post #2 of 7

here's a video and I used a small hacksaw...I remember it being quite easy to use and cut - it's been a while.  

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 30 May 2018 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 7

I have used SPS a few times. It is relatively easy to cut using a small hacksaw. However I do normally go for 4 inch tiers so I don’t have to cut. I was also worried about having to get spot on tiers but you can be a little bit off and get away with  it for example if you have ribbon or decoration around  the bottom of your tiers. As I always use buttercream and then fondant you can normally adjust the thickness to get it as near as possible to 4 inches. Hope that helps 

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 30 May 2018 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 7

I use SPS all the time.  Most of the time I get the EZ cut columns.  My scalpel or sharp knife will cut those.

TheElegantEmerald Posted 31 May 2018 , 12:18am
post #5 of 7

Thanks to both of you!  Have either of you guys used both the EZ cut and the standard pillars?  Do they seem to have the same amount of strength and stability?

TheElegantEmerald Posted 31 May 2018 , 12:19am
post #6 of 7

I forgot to mention my original plan was to get the 5" pillars with the 2" add-ons...but that could change now.

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 31 May 2018 , 11:52am
post #7 of 7

Yep, I have both in stock.  It may not matter as far as strength, but I use the standards if I want a space between tiers.  They just look better.  I've used EZ cut for up to a 5 tier wedding cake - transported all together except for the very top tier.  Never had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%