Decorating By sweet_cravings Updated 24 May 2018 , 6:49pm by amandalee4

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 16 May 2018 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all

Cake pop coating -

• Wilton candy melts 
  • Chocolate ganache

What will you prefer & why? (Like taste / convenience / fineness / price)

And if you use ganache, then do we need to use oil based colors (candy colors) than gel colors?

2 replies
amandalee4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandalee4 Posted 24 May 2018 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 3

hi. it is probably pointless to try to answer this bc i might not be much help...

but the very first time i did cake pops i coated them in white chocolate. i had NO IDEA what i was doing. they were SO good! Eeeeveryone LOVED them and years later i still hear comments about those cake pops, haha. the thing is, i cant really remember how i made them (at least the cake part). but i melted the chocolate and had to use shortening constantly bc it wasnt flowing enough.  bakers stress not to use shortening, but i seriously dont notice a bad taste or anything else negative about it. you can also use coconut oil as well

now with a little more experience i stick to candy melts. i WILL try using chocolate again because the taste is so much better (thats just my preference).  i just havnt gotten around to trying the ganache again. i will say that i have the wilton melting pot and it has really helped me! 

i know that didnt cover everything, sorry

amandalee4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandalee4 Posted 24 May 2018 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 3

hi. it is probably pointless to try to answer this bc i might not be much help...

but the very first time i did cake pops i coated them in white chocolate. i had NO IDEA what i was doing. they were SO good! Eeeeveryone LOVED them and years later i still hear comments about those cake pops, haha. the thing is, i cant really remember how i made them (at least the cake part). but i melted the chocolate and had to use shortening constantly bc it wasnt flowing enough.  bakers stress not to use shortening, but i seriously dont notice a bad taste or anything else negative about it. you can also use coconut oil as well

now with a little more experience i stick to candy melts. i WILL try using chocolate again because the taste is so much better (thats just my preference).  i just havnt gotten around to trying the ganache again. i will say that i have the wilton melting pot and it has really helped me! 

i know that didnt cover everything, sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%