If I Have Tylose, Will I Ever Need To Buy Gum Paste Again?

Decorating By lukbeealady Updated 4 days ago by jchuck

lukbeealady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukbeealady Posted 4 days ago
post #1 of 6

I just started making fondant cakes with gumpaste figurines and flowers. Now that my gum paste container (Satin Ice) is almost finished, I am thinking of just buying tylose powder instead. I am a hobby baker and wont be making cakes frequently enough to justify buying gum paste, as it will probably go bad before finishing the next container.  Tylose should keep for a long time, correct?Will i ever have a reason to buy gum paste again if I have tylose powder to harden my fondant? And would adding tylose to fondant and water be just an effective glue as the glue paste i make with gum paste?

5 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 4 days ago
post #2 of 6

Tylose keeps for a long time. I've had mine over 2 years, knead a bit in to fondant when I need to make figures or flowers. When I make glue, I just use tylose and water and keep it in the fridge.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 4 days ago
post #3 of 6

Tylose added to fondant is great for figures. But for wonderful  gumpaste flowers I use Nick Lodges recipe. You can even freeze half of the gumpaste once it is made. This gumpaste is relatively easy to make and great to work with. Rolls very thin. 

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/nicholas-lodge-gumpaste-recipe/

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 days ago
post #4 of 6

I agree with jchuck 100%.  I've used several gum pastes, commercial and homemade, and my go to is Nicholas Lodge's recipe.  It rolls almost as thinly as Platinum Paste and is stronger and more resistant to humidity.  I do not like using fondant fortified with tylose for flowers, but is works fine for small figures.

lukbeealady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukbeealady Posted 4 days ago
post #5 of 6

Amazing advice!! Thank you so much! I will try the Nicholas Lodge recipe next!!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 4 days ago
post #6 of 6

Once you use N L’s gumpaste, you’ll never use anything else. Have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%