Can You Make Fondant Cakes Out Of Wilton 3D Shaped Cake Pans?

Decorating By lukbeealady Updated 3 days ago by -K8memphis

lukbeealady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukbeealady Posted 4 days ago
post #1 of 6

Has anyone easily and successfully made nice looking fondant cakes out of Wilton's 3D shaped cake pans (teddy bear, cruiser car, train, etc.)? Do they make it easier to make shaped fondant cakes? And if you use fondant instead of icing, do you find the cake to be too dry?  I haven't found many good results or tutorials on youtube or google, so I wonder if it is just not ideal to do?

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 days ago
post #2 of 6

I have not covered a 3D shaped cake with fondant, but I have made sculpted cakes and covered them with fondant, and I see no reason why there would be a difference.  Just like any other cake, you would frost it prior to applying the fondant, so nothing taste wise would be lost and the fondant is just another barrier against drying out.  Go for it!  Good luck.

lukbeealady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukbeealady Posted 4 days ago
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply Sandra! When you make sculpted cakes, are they filled with frosting in between layers? I think with the shaped cake pans, it is all batter. All the pictures I've seen of these have the frosting piped onto the outside like this: 

Image result for wilton bear cake pan

I'm wondering if I skip this step and use fondant instead, will there not be enough icing? 

As an aside, your cakes are out of this world AH-MAZ-ING!!! Your cakes leave me speechless! I hope to one day become 1/100000th as good as you!! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 days ago
post #4 of 6

You are just a sweetheart, lukbeealady!  Thank you for your kind words.  I have an advantage in that I am retired and do this as a hobby only so I can spend as much time on each piece as I want.

Yes, that mold is solid.  I have one like it that I've used one time.  Why do you want to cover your bear with fondant?  The piping looks a lot more like fur.  I didn't do a fabulous job, but I used a grass tip for his fur.  As far as fondant being enough frosting, most people peel it off and throw it away, so if your cake didn't have any buttercream underneath the fondant, they would get no frosting.  Also, the cake needs at least a crumb coat for the fondant to stick.

Can You Make Fondant Cakes Out Of Wilton 3D Shaped Cake Pans?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 4 days ago
post #5 of 6

lukbeealady 

When my children were very small I made many 2D cakes with the Wilton pans. Batsman, Smurffette, Holly Hobby, etc. I star tipped all of the cakes, but don’t see why you couldn’t cover with fondant?? Fondant didn’t exist when I made these cakes. You would have to rub the fondant carefully into the grooves and indentations in the cake. If you kept a picture that comes with the pan as reference, you can add the eyes, nose etc from cut out fondant. Now your picture is a standing bear, which I have never made. But I still believe you could cover with fondant. I would probably use 50/50 fondant and modelling chocolate as modelling chocolate is so easy to work with.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 days ago
post #6 of 6

point being you're gonna lose the detail if you fondant it -- so you'll just have to keep one eye on the pan to find the detail/markings -- know what I mean

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%