Reducing Liquids When Adapting Cake Recipe To A Carrot Cake?

Baking By sodaceratops Updated 27 Apr 2018 , 4:24pm by -K8memphis

sodaceratops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sodaceratops Posted 27 Apr 2018 , 2:46am
post #1 of 3

I want to turn a chocolate cake recipe into a carrot cake recipe. I need some help on liquid reduction. This is a vegan recipe (aside from the honey). Here it is... 

1 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c cacao
1/2 tsp salt

1/3 c + 2 tbsp honey
6 tbsp coffee
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 c applesauce
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c yam 

As a chocolate cake, it's super moist and super delicious. I'm just not sure how much liquid carrots add. I was thinking of replacing the 6 tbsp coffee with 1/4 cup (or less) coconut milk and adding 3 cups of carrots. Since I'm also taking away the cacao, should I reduce the liquid further than a couple of tbsp? 

People always say baking is a science but I really haven't found that with vegan baking. It all kind of works out in the end. So any suggestions would be lovely. Thanks. 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2018 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

my advice is find a tried & true vegan recipe -- they are a dime a dozen -- look for ones that have quantities similar to this recipe you like and incorporate them altogether --

when I make carrot cake I squish the liquid out of the carrots and drink it -- because freshly grated carrots are So juicy -- I find that works for me --

plus in your hypothetical recipe you're replacing 3/4 cup sweet potato for three cups of carrots? I just don't think so -- plus pulling out the cocoa which has a real like drying power -- but coconut flour has a similar if not even more drying power -- so I don't know -- but those are my thoughts -- and if you use the coconut flour just sub in some not all --

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2018 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 3

not to mention -- the best carrot cake I ever had had pineapple in it -- not big pieces, little unobtrusive pieces -- if I was doing this I would also macerate some raisins and whirl them in the food processor

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%